GCD proof in Number Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove or disprove the statement "If gcd(m, n) = d, then the gcd(a, mn) = gcd(a,m) * gcd(a.n)/d." The speakers consider using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and the defining characteristics of gcd to solve the problem.
melmath
Here is my problem:

Prove or disprove: If gcd(m, n) = d, then the gcd(a, mn) = gcd(a,m) * gcd(a.n)/d.

I can seem to get it started, sort of, but it just does not seem to get anywhere. I know by definition d | m and d | n. Then arbitrary integers x and y can be used such that m = xd and n = yd. I can then have gcd(a, mn) = E. Then E | a and E | mn. I can do the same as I did for the other. But the last part of gcd(a,m) * gcd(a.n)/d is giving me a really rough time getting it to know how tie it all in. I have a lot of integers and letters and I think I am very lost at this point. Please help!

melmath

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the fundamental theorem of arithmetic which says that every number can be written uniquely as a product of primes? So we can write:

[tex]m = \prod _{i=1}^{\infty}p_i^{\mu _i},\ n = \prod _{i=1}^{\infty}p_i^{\nu _i}[/tex]

where pi is the ith prime, and the [itex]\mu _i,\, \nu _i[/itex] are eventually zero since m and n are finite numbers. Using the notation above, how would you express gcd(m,n)?

Last edited:
melmath said:
Then arbitrary integers x and y can be used such that m = xd and n = yd.

x and y are not aribtrary integers. x is m/d and y is n/d.

AKG's way is very useful, but it is also good to do it from the defining characteristics: the gcd of A and B is a the largest divisor of A and B. There is also another way of thinking about it: gcd(m,n) is the integer d such that m=dx, n=dy for some x,y and gcd(x,y)=1

1. What is the GCD proof in Number Theory?

The GCD proof in Number Theory is a mathematical proof that shows that the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers can be expressed as a linear combination of the two numbers. This is known as Bézout's identity and is an important concept in number theory.

2. Why is the GCD proof important?

The GCD proof is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the relationship between two numbers. It is also used in various branches of mathematics, such as cryptography and algebra, to solve problems and prove theorems.

3. How is the GCD proof used in real-world applications?

The GCD proof has various real-world applications, such as in cryptography, where it is used to find the common factors of two large numbers to ensure secure encryption. It is also used in computer science to optimize algorithms and solve problems involving prime numbers.

4. What are the steps involved in the GCD proof?

The GCD proof involves the following steps: (1) Assume two numbers, a and b, with a greater than or equal to b. (2) Use the Euclidean algorithm to find the GCD of a and b. (3) Use backward substitution to express the GCD as a linear combination of a and b. (4) Prove that the linear combination satisfies Bézout's identity.

5. Are there any limitations to the GCD proof?

There are some limitations to the GCD proof, such as it only applies to integers and not all real numbers. Additionally, it cannot be used to prove the GCD of more than two numbers. However, it remains a powerful tool in number theory and has many practical applications.