Upper Bound of H in GCSE Maths

In summary, the person is having trouble with a question regarding upper and lower bounds. They attempted to calculate the upper bound of H using the upper bounds of v and g, but their answer differs from the model answer. The correct method is to use the lower bound of g for finding the upper bound of 1/g. Additionally, for subtraction, the upper and lower bounds are found by subtracting the upper and lower bounds of the numbers being subtracted.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I have another upper/low bound question, i have attached the question to this thread.

The bit i am having trouble with is part (II) i.e. calculate the upper bound of H.

I attempted this and got: -

(24.45^2)/(2*9.85) = 30.34530457

H = 30.3 (3 sig fig)

The problem is that my answer differs from the model answer shown in the attachment, the reason why i did what i did was because the question stated find the Upper Bound of H, so i thought i need to use the upper bound of v & g to calculate the upper bound of H, why am i incorrect?

Thanks

Attachments

• GCSE Maths Forum Question.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
The upper bound of 1/g is found when the lower bound of g is used.

Same thing with subtraction: upper bound of 1.7 - 1.2 is 1.75 - 1.15 = 0.6.
And lower bound is 0.4. With your method upper and lower bound would be the same as the calculated difference itself...

1. What is the "Upper Bound of H" in GCSE Maths?

The "Upper Bound of H" refers to the highest possible value that a number or quantity can have in a given situation. In GCSE Maths, it is often used to represent the maximum possible score that a student can achieve on a particular exam or test.

2. How is the "Upper Bound of H" determined in GCSE Maths?

The "Upper Bound of H" is determined by analyzing the highest possible values of each component or question on the exam. For example, if a test has 10 questions worth 10 marks each, the maximum possible score would be 100, making the "Upper Bound of H" 100.

3. Why is the "Upper Bound of H" important in GCSE Maths?

The "Upper Bound of H" is important because it sets a clear goal for students to strive towards. It also helps teachers and examiners to evaluate the difficulty level of the exam and to compare the performance of different students.

4. Is the "Upper Bound of H" the same for every GCSE Maths exam?

No, the "Upper Bound of H" can vary depending on the specific exam and its components. For example, a GCSE Maths exam with more challenging questions may have a higher "Upper Bound of H" than a simpler exam.

5. How can I use the "Upper Bound of H" to improve my performance in GCSE Maths?

Knowing the "Upper Bound of H" can help you set realistic goals and focus your studying on the areas that will help you achieve the highest possible score. It can also give you an idea of how well you are doing in comparison to the maximum score, and where you may need to improve.