Gcse PHysics coursework practical help

In summary, the rubber band and the weight of the eggshell have an effect on how far the noodle pot travels when it is in the catapult. The formulas used to calculate the kinetic energy of the projectile are Hooke's law and the ballistics equation.
MightyMan
Gcse Physics practical coursework help needed.
Hey guys, my topic is something like what factors affect how far a noodle pot travels when in a catapult. Frankly... I'm stumped. Any ideas whatsoever will help, I'm ok at physics but this has just gone and killed me. We have to use formulas and stuff I'm sure, but it's just shooting me in the foot wondering which ones!

what factors affect how far a noodle pot travels when in a catapult..
All i can think off is angle and distance pulled back. :/

ANY help whatsoever on which formulae to use and how to use it. Seriously. Even any planning help. I got it today and i need to think of something for a practical day next week. Have a planning session so any quick ideas in the next 20 hours would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its mass and its shape are also factors.

Ok cool, i just got ot know more about it.

Basically we take a chair. Attach 4 rubber bands together. Pull it back as far as you want (10,20,30 cm) and let it go. YOu have placed a plstic cylinder with 1n weights inside.

This experimetn is basically that and I've decided to do
1. How far the rubber band is pulled back.
2. How many weights are in the container.

Ideas on what to write about are really welcome, I'm not looking for you to tell me everything.

OK, one question I'm really frusstrated on is which formulas to use.

I have distance pulled, weights being pushed, distance they are pushed too and the Newtons the rubber bands have been pulled back to.

Should i use ohms law as a general formula (rough?). What formulas and how do i use them? Sorry but I'm seriously freaked out.

I don't know what good Ohm's law will do as that is to do with resistance in electrical circuits. Perhaps you meant Hooke's law? That would be a good start. We can discuss a little of the theory.

What you can do is think of the average force acting on the rubber bands. When no force is applied to the bands, there is no extension. When a force F is applied, there is an extension x. You may know that

Work Done = (Force) × (Distance moved in the direction of the force)

But here the force is varying, so use the average force, or

(0 + F)/2 = ½F

So the work performed on the bands is ½Fx.

This work performed on the bands is equal to the potential energy given to the bands.

When the object is fired, this potential energy is transformed into the kinetic energy of the projectile. So

Work done = Potential energy of catapult = Kinetic energy of projectile

Or

½Fx = ½mv2

Where m and v are the mass and velocity of the projectile respectively.

There is a formula from ballistics that gives you the range of a projectile. You'll probably be able to find this elsewhere on the internet. Neglecting the effects of air resistance, the range of the particle on level ground is

Range = (v2sin(2θ))/g

You can solve the energy equation above this for v2, if your skills of algebraic manipulation are quite good, and you can substitute that into the range equation.

You may be able to investigate the differences between the theoretical value of the range and the actual measured value and determine the causes.

(Rubber bands don't have a linear force-extension relationship so Hooke's law doesn't apply to them very well. I do seem to recall my GCSE physics teacher discussing the average force method to determine the kinetic energy of a projectile when fired with an elastic band, though.)

Last edited:
Thanks Ad, and yes we do have that formula. So there really are many places to gow ith just one investigation. Wow. MY physics teacher told me that hookes law (now ohms :)) was a good rough guide. That ballistics formula is going to give me some top marks but could you give me an example of working with some formulas with the information.

Newtons pulled back (rubber band)
length pulled back
Distance the egg shell thingy was fired.

Kinetic energy: .5 * mass (meters)* velocity2

Work done: Average force * Distance

Energy transferred: Power * distance / Work Done

Efficiency: Output/Input * 100 = percentage

Most appreciated. These forums seem nice and even though I'm just a Gcse student i think i'll stay. :)

1. What is the purpose of GCSE Physics coursework practicals?

The purpose of GCSE Physics coursework practicals is to give students the opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge of physics concepts in a hands-on, practical setting. This allows students to develop their investigative and critical thinking skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

2. How are GCSE Physics coursework practicals assessed?

GCSE Physics coursework practicals are assessed through a combination of written reports and practical examinations. Students are expected to carry out the experiment, collect and analyze data, and present their findings in a written report. They may also be required to complete a practical examination where they will demonstrate their understanding of the experiment and its results.

3. Can I use outside sources or assistance for my GCSE Physics coursework practicals?

It is not recommended to use outside sources or assistance for GCSE Physics coursework practicals. These practicals are designed for students to independently carry out experiments and analyze the results. Any outside help may compromise the integrity of the assessment and may result in penalties.

4. How much time should I spend on my GCSE Physics coursework practicals?

The amount of time spent on GCSE Physics coursework practicals will vary depending on the complexity of the experiment and the individual student's understanding of the subject. However, it is recommended to allocate a sufficient amount of time to plan, carry out, and write up the experiment to ensure a thorough and well-executed assessment.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with my GCSE Physics coursework practicals?

If you are struggling with your GCSE Physics coursework practicals, it is important to seek help from your teacher or tutor. They can provide guidance and clarification on the experiment and its concepts. It may also be helpful to practice similar experiments or review relevant material to improve your understanding of the subject matter.