What is the gear ratio and horsepower required for an ECAP machine gearbox?

In summary, the lab is designing a new ECAP machine that requires a 2,000,000 lb-ft torque on the output shaft of the gearbox. The output shaft rpm is .42 and the motor speed is 1,800 rpm and 1,200 rpm. The required gear ratio and horsepower need to be calculated to ensure safety with an 85% efficiency for the gearbox. The output speed and torque can be converted to radians per second and multiplied to find the horsepower needed. It is suggested to visit gearmotor manufacturer websites for downloadable catalogs and online selection tools to make the calculations easier. The gear ratio is estimated to be 1.5, but it is recommended to double check with the manufacturer's calculations.
yosty02
Our lab is looking at designing a new ECAP machine (Equal Channel Angular Pressing). It needs to be driven by an electric motor attached to a gearbox. From their modeling and data collected from their existing ECAP machine they are requesting the output shaft on the gearbox to have a 2,000,000 lb-ft of torque, the output shaft rpm is .42, using a 1,800 rpm and 1,200 motor speed. Find the gear ratio required and the horsepower required and give actual gearbox output torque with the motor hp selected to check safety factor, use 85% efficiency for the gearbox.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have everything you need to answer your questions in a few minutes. What have you tried so far?

I found the HP to be 160. By HP = torque*rpm/5252.
I'm not quite sure about the gear ratio, is it 1800/1200 = 1.5?
I'm an intern and my boss said something about the gear ratio being high, so I'm just thrown off a bit.

I'd convert the output speed to radians per second. Them I'd multiply that by the output torque, being careful to properly manipulate the units into HP. Them I'd apply the gearbox efficiency backwards to the motor.

Go to any gearmotor manufacturer website (Dodge, Emerson, Falk, Nord, SEW-Eurodrive) and check out their downloadable catalogs. Usually those catalogs have engineering sections with all the necessary & correct calculations. Many times those sites will have online selection tools that make it simple to select the correct gear ratio, horsepower, style, and size.

What is a gear box for an ECAP machine?

A gear box for an ECAP machine is a mechanical component that is responsible for controlling the speed and torque of the machine, which is used for the process of equal channel angular pressing (ECAP). It consists of gears, shafts, bearings, and other components that work together to transfer power to the machine and control the movement of the dies.

What is the purpose of a gear box in an ECAP machine?

The main purpose of a gear box in an ECAP machine is to provide the necessary power and torque to the dies, which are used to deform the metal during the ECAP process. It also allows for the adjustment of the speed and direction of the dies, which is crucial in achieving the desired microstructure and properties of the metal being processed.

How does a gear box work in an ECAP machine?

A gear box in an ECAP machine works by using a series of gears with different sizes and ratios. The motor of the machine rotates a large gear, which then turns smaller gears at higher speeds, resulting in an increase in torque. The gears are connected to shafts, which transmit the power to the dies, allowing for the necessary force to be applied to the metal being processed.

What are the common types of gear boxes used in ECAP machines?

The most common types of gear boxes used in ECAP machines are worm gear boxes, helical gear boxes, and planetary gear boxes. Worm gear boxes are used for high torque applications, while helical gear boxes are known for their high efficiency and smooth operation. Planetary gear boxes are a combination of both, providing high torque and efficiency.

What are the factors to consider when selecting a gear box for an ECAP machine?

When selecting a gear box for an ECAP machine, the main factors to consider are the required torque and speed, the type of metal being processed, and the precision and accuracy needed for the final product. Other factors may include the space available for the gear box, the cost, and the maintenance and durability of the gear box.