Which gearbox and coupling are suitable for reducing RPM in a generating unit?

In summary, the individual is looking for a gearbox suitable for reducing the RPM of an electric generating unit from 15000 to 250-300, in order to generate electricity at 50Hz. They also need a suitable coupling for the shaft and generator. The power generated is 25KW and input power is 45 hp. The gearbox should have axes parallel, a low speed shaft of 3000rpm and a high speed shaft of 15700 rpm with a center distance of 3.125 inches. The type of gear (spur or low helix angle) should be determined based on efficiency, cost, and noise level and should have a life of 60,000 hours. A potential solution is to use multiple gear
arjun.b
Hi,

I have a elec generating unit. The shaft has a rpm of 15000. Need to reduce to 250-300rpm i.e. bring it down to generating elec at 50Hz. Could somebody suggest which gearbox is suitable for this application to reduce from high to low rpm. Also suggest which type of coupling has to be used between the shaft and the generator.

Thank you...

Engineering news on Phys.org
15000rpm or 1500rpm?

How big is your generator? Most commercial generators run at 1,500rpm, not sure why you're after 250-300rpm.

The gearbox's reduction is only one requirement that you will need to specify a gearbox for your application. The most important things you haven't mentioned yet is how much power will this gearbox be transmitting, and in a related vein how much torque on the input and output shafts?

Power generated: 25KW
Input power: 45 hp (33.6 kW)
axes: parallel
low speed shaft: 3000rpm
high speed shaft: 15,700 rpm
center distance: 3.125-inches (79.375 mm)
spur gear or low helix angle (whichever is more efficient, less expensive and low noise) ?
AGMA class 9, 10 or 11 (depending on cost)
life: 60,000 hrs

Take a look at GlobalSpec.com's Gearboxes and Gearheads search. They have a lot of different stuff in there, and you can narrow your search one parameter at a time (for example, reduction and power throughput). It sounds like you could have some trouble based on the input shaft speed (15000 rpm) but who knows you might find something...

http://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/Suppliers/Motion_Controls/Drive_Components/Gearboxes_Gearheads

If the input shaft speed does become a problem, you might consider stacking a pair of gearboxes, one reducing from 15000 rpm to around 3000, and then another gearbox that reduces to your final shaft speed.

1. How do I determine the appropriate gear ratio for a specific RPM?

The gear ratio can be calculated by dividing the output RPM by the input RPM. For example, if the output RPM is 500 and the input RPM is 100, the gear ratio is 500/100 = 5. This means that for every 1 rotation of the input, the output will rotate 5 times.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting a gear box for a specific RPM?

Some important factors to consider include the desired output RPM, torque requirements, input power source, and the type of load the gear box will be driving. It is also important to consider the size and weight restrictions of the application.

3. How do I know if a gear box is suitable for high RPM applications?

High RPM applications require gear boxes that can handle higher speeds without overheating or breaking down. Look for gear boxes with high-quality materials and precision engineering, as well as a high maximum RPM rating.

4. Can I use a gear box with a different RPM rating than my motor?

It is generally recommended to match the gear box RPM rating with the motor RPM rating. However, some gear boxes have adjustable speed settings that allow for slight variations in RPM. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines before using a gear box with a different RPM rating than the motor.

5. How do I maintain the proper RPM while using a gear box?

To maintain the desired RPM, it is important to regularly check and maintain the gear box for any wear and tear or damage. It is also important to use the gear box within its specified torque and speed ratings and to avoid overloading it. Regular lubrication and cleaning can also help to ensure the gear box runs smoothly at the desired RPM.