Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear Calculations using exact length for specific time

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    I have this conveyor which I am trying to automate i.e. It runs for 5 secs and have a pause of 3 sec, this process is continuous.
    I am creating a mechanism where I have a gear of dia 200mm which is fixed (i.e. I cant change its dia) and it is attached to a conveyor.

Now I am introducing a second gear which is variable (i.e. I can change its dia) Now I am thinking that the second gear should have less number of teeths i.e.

"sorry i cant use images yet therefore search in google (half tooth gear)."

because I want a pause of 3 seconds and rotation of 5 seconds in conveyor. I am really confused of how the calculations will be carried out. The rpm of the second gear can also be changed.

I am using 2*pi*r to get the length of the gear circumference however I am not sure what size should be the second gear and at which speed I should rotate to get a 3 sec pause and 5 sec run. I know its complicated but even a little help will be appreciated.

Regards
    Webb

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted