Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear noise protection

  1. Apr 9, 2013 #1

    I'm a technical translator from Germany and urgently looking for a particular term:

    It describes a kind of case/protection around the gearbox which reduces noise emission.

    The German term is "Getriebekapselung" ("getriebe" = gear, kapselung = "protection/case/capsule?"

    Is there a corresponding English term?

    Thanks you very much in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Hi, Translatech;
    How precise does this have to be? If there's one very specific scientific term for it, I don't know what it is. In a less rigorous situation, it could be called sound insulation, a sound dampening case (or shell), a noise dampener, silencing shield, muffler, hearing protector, some mish-mash of any or all of the above, or something else that I have yet to come up with. I'll keep thinking on it.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Apr 9, 2013 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to the PF. Can you supply some links to photographs or other things that would help us to provide a name?
  5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    Hi Danger,

    thank you for your answer.

    It's a specific term that I am looking for.

    I've finally opted for "transmission encapsulation".

    I hope that works in English.

    Thanks also to berkeman. I'm afraid I haven't got any picture.
  6. Apr 9, 2013 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    The most common term used in the noise reduction industry is "encapsulation".
  7. Apr 9, 2013 #6


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Cool. That's nice to know for future use.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook