Gear Noise Protection - Getriebekapselung

In summary, a technical translator from Germany is in search of an English term for "Getriebekapselung", which refers to a case/protection around a gearbox that reduces noise emission. The suggested term is "transmission encapsulation" and it is commonly used in the noise reduction industry.
Translatech
Hello,

I'm a technical translator from Germany and urgently looking for a particular term:

It describes a kind of case/protection around the gearbox which reduces noise emission.

The German term is "Getriebekapselung" ("getriebe" = gear, kapselung = "protection/case/capsule?"

Is there a corresponding English term?

Thanks you very much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Translatech;
How precise does this have to be? If there's one very specific scientific term for it, I don't know what it is. In a less rigorous situation, it could be called sound insulation, a sound dampening case (or shell), a noise dampener, silencing shield, muffler, hearing protector, some mish-mash of any or all of the above, or something else that I have yet to come up with. I'll keep thinking on it.

Last edited:
Translatech said:
Hello,

I'm a technical translator from Germany and urgently looking for a particular term:

It describes a kind of case/protection around the gearbox which reduces noise emission.

The German term is "Getriebekapselung" ("getriebe" = gear, kapselung = "protection/case/capsule?"

Is there a corresponding English term?

Thanks you very much in advance.

Welcome to the PF. Can you supply some links to photographs or other things that would help us to provide a name?

Hi Danger,

thank you for your answer.

It's a specific term that I am looking for.

I've finally opted for "transmission encapsulation".

I hope that works in English.

Thanks also to berkeman. I'm afraid I haven't got any picture.

The most common term used in the noise reduction industry is "encapsulation".

Cool. That's nice to know for future use.

1. What is gear noise protection and why is it important?

Gear noise protection, also known as gearbox encapsulation, is a method used to reduce the noise produced by gears in machinery. It is important because excessive gear noise can be harmful to both workers and the surrounding environment, as well as cause damage to the machinery itself.

2. How does gear noise protection work?

Gear noise protection works by enclosing the gears in a soundproof housing, typically made of materials such as rubber, foam, or metal. This housing acts as a barrier, blocking the noise from escaping and reducing the overall sound level.

3. What are the benefits of using gear noise protection?

The benefits of using gear noise protection include a quieter working environment, improved worker safety and comfort, reduced noise pollution, and longer lifespan of the machinery due to reduced wear and tear.

4. Are there any disadvantages to gear noise protection?

One potential disadvantage of gear noise protection is the added cost and complexity of implementing it. Additionally, the soundproof housing may restrict access to the gears, making maintenance and repairs more difficult.

5. Is gear noise protection suitable for all types of machinery?

While gear noise protection can be used for a wide range of machinery, it may not be necessary for all types. Generally, it is most beneficial for machines that produce high levels of noise, such as large industrial equipment or heavy-duty vehicles.