Calculating Radius of Driven Gear from Given Info

In summary, the conversation discusses designing two gears meshed together where the pinion gear must travel at 85 degrees from 0 and the driven gear must travel at 120 degrees from 0, and both gears must stop at the same time. The pinion gear is known to be 1 inch in diameter. The question is whether there is a way to calculate the radius of the driven gear based on this information. It is suggested to use the gear ratio to find the driven gear's diameter. However, it may be difficult to achieve the exact ratio with off-the-shelf parts, and backlash should also be considered in the design.
deuel18
I'm currently designing two gears meshed together. I know that the pinion gear must travel at 85 degrees from 0 while the driven gear must travel at 120 degrees from 0 - both gears must travel and stop at the same time. In addition, I do know that the pinion gear must be 1 inche in diameter. Is there a way, based on the information given, to calculate the radius of the driven gear? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
So for every 85 degrees the pinion rotates the other gear rotates 120 degrees.
We could also say if the pinion rotates at 85 rpm the other rotates at 120 rpm, can you work out the gear ratio now? and use that ratio to find the driven gears diameter?

Likes deuel18
I see. Thank you very much.

You're welcome, good luck.
It's reasonably unlikely you'll be able to achieve the exact ratio with OTS (off the shelf, as opposed to bespoke) parts so you may need to alter your design.
Also, keep backlash in mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlash_(engineering)

1) How do I calculate the radius of a driven gear?

To calculate the radius of a driven gear, you will need to know the number of teeth on the gear, the pitch diameter of the driving gear, and the gear ratio. The formula for calculating the radius is: radius = (pitch diameter * gear ratio) / (2 * number of teeth)

2) What is the pitch diameter of a gear?

The pitch diameter of a gear is the diameter of an imaginary circle that passes through the center of the gear and touches the tops of the gear teeth. It is an important measurement in gear calculations as it helps determine gear ratios and other parameters.

3) Can I use the same formula to calculate the radius of any gear?

Yes, the formula for calculating the radius of a gear can be used for any gear, as long as you have the necessary information (number of teeth, pitch diameter, gear ratio). However, keep in mind that the units used for each parameter must be consistent.

4) What is the gear ratio and why is it important?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the driving gear to the number of teeth on the driven gear. It is an important factor in gear calculations as it determines the speed and torque of the driven gear relative to the driving gear. A higher gear ratio means the driven gear will rotate more times for each rotation of the driving gear.

5) What are some common applications of calculating the radius of a driven gear?

Calculating the radius of a driven gear is important in various industries, such as automotive, manufacturing, and robotics. It is used to design and optimize gear systems for specific applications, such as in vehicles, machines, and robots. It is also useful for troubleshooting and maintenance purposes to ensure proper gear functionality.