Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gear Problems

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A belt conveyor with a 1-foot diameter is driven by an electric motor. The conveyor must travel at 300 linear feet per minute while the motor turns at 1760 RPM. Design a gear train to connect the motor and conveyor and choose gears from McMaster-Carr.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the RPM of the conveyor to be 95.5 RPM. I thought the simplest design would be if there was a compound gear on the shaft of the conveyor and the shaft of the electric motor, giving a simple two gear design. However, the calculated gear ratio is 18.4 and I cannot find two gears on the McMaster-Carr website that would give me that gear ratio. I read somewhere that between two spur gears the highest gear ratio is usually 10:1. I don't think a worm gear applies because that is for converting a high speed to a very low speed. Is that correct, or is 95.5 RPM sufficiently slow?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you considered 3 gears?

Looks possible and keeps each stage <10:1

PS I haven't actually checked the web site to see if the right gears exist.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook