1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear Problems

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A belt conveyor with a 1-foot diameter is driven by an electric motor. The conveyor must travel at 300 linear feet per minute while the motor turns at 1760 RPM. Design a gear train to connect the motor and conveyor and choose gears from McMaster-Carr.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the RPM of the conveyor to be 95.5 RPM. I thought the simplest design would be if there was a compound gear on the shaft of the conveyor and the shaft of the electric motor, giving a simple two gear design. However, the calculated gear ratio is 18.4 and I cannot find two gears on the McMaster-Carr website that would give me that gear ratio. I read somewhere that between two spur gears the highest gear ratio is usually 10:1. I don't think a worm gear applies because that is for converting a high speed to a very low speed. Is that correct, or is 95.5 RPM sufficiently slow?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you considered 3 gears?

Looks possible and keeps each stage <10:1

PS I haven't actually checked the web site to see if the right gears exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook