Gear Train Design for 300 ft/min Conveyor at 1760 RPM Motor

• Thread starter erader2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, a gear train needs to be designed to connect an electric motor with a belt conveyor that must travel at 300 linear feet per minute while the motor turns at 1760 RPM. The calculated gear ratio is 18.4, but the McMaster-Carr website does not have two gears that would give this ratio. A worm gear is not suitable and using three gears with a gear ratio of less than 10:1 each may be a possible solution.
erader2

Homework Statement

A belt conveyor with a 1-foot diameter is driven by an electric motor. The conveyor must travel at 300 linear feet per minute while the motor turns at 1760 RPM. Design a gear train to connect the motor and conveyor and choose gears from McMaster-Carr.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the RPM of the conveyor to be 95.5 RPM. I thought the simplest design would be if there was a compound gear on the shaft of the conveyor and the shaft of the electric motor, giving a simple two gear design. However, the calculated gear ratio is 18.4 and I cannot find two gears on the McMaster-Carr website that would give me that gear ratio. I read somewhere that between two spur gears the highest gear ratio is usually 10:1. I don't think a worm gear applies because that is for converting a high speed to a very low speed. Is that correct, or is 95.5 RPM sufficiently slow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered 3 gears?

Looks possible and keeps each stage <10:1

PS I haven't actually checked the website to see if the right gears exist.

1. What is the purpose of a gear train in conveyor design?

A gear train in conveyor design is used to transfer power from the motor to the conveyor belt. It allows for the motor to rotate at a higher speed while reducing the speed of the conveyor belt to a more manageable level.

2. How do I determine the proper gear ratio for a conveyor at 1760 RPM?

The gear ratio for a conveyor at 1760 RPM can be determined by dividing the motor speed by the desired conveyor speed. In this case, the gear ratio would be 1760/300 = 5.87. This means that for every 5.87 rotations of the motor, the conveyor belt will make 1 rotation.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a gear train for a conveyor?

When designing a gear train for a conveyor, factors such as the desired conveyor speed, the motor speed, the load being transported, and the available space for the gear train should all be taken into consideration. It is also important to consider the torque and power requirements for the conveyor.

4. Can a gear train be used to increase the speed of a conveyor?

Yes, a gear train can be used to increase the speed of a conveyor. This is achieved by using a gear ratio that is greater than 1, which will result in the conveyor belt rotating at a faster speed than the motor.

5. Are there any maintenance considerations for a gear train in conveyor design?

Yes, it is important to regularly check and lubricate the gear train to ensure smooth operation. Any signs of wear or damage should be addressed immediately to prevent further issues. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions when working with the gear train.