Solving Gear Pump Cavi Mystery - No Priming Needed

• Thread starter maxx_payne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Pump
In summary, the conversation discusses a gear pump that experienced a breakdown and required priming to work, which was unusual for a gear pump. A possible explanation is increased clearance between gears causing back leakage, leading to less efficiency. The conversation also mentions a burned electric motor, which could be due to voltage fluctuations. The new, larger gear pump works without priming.
maxx_payne
gear pump cavi ?

well dear all we know that gear pump is a positive desplacement pump which has constant dioscharge at different loads my problem is i need an explanation to this sitiuation

" from 1 month at my work i found a breakdown of lubricating pump used to pump oil on a bearing it was a gear pump
i found that there is no flow exiting out the pump i checked direction of rotation and pump tempreture i found nothin
a friend of mine PRIMED the pump and it has worked i found this strange because of the nature of gear pump
after 2 weeks we found that the electric motor of this pump is burned i don't know why ?
after this i changed the gear pump with a larger one which worked without any kind of priming
i don't know what's the different or the meaning of this sitiuation
pls guys help me ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

strange things happen!

may be the clearance between gear and casing or between two gears, had increased causing back leakage...which might have not able to produce the initial vacuum for the suction...so might had need priming...and after priming...it could had discharged the liquid but with less efficiency due the back leakage...

and about your motor...it might had run freely...for some time...or might be overloaded...

a slight voltage fluctuation can do that...

all are possibilities as you had asked for the same..

n definitely your new pump will properly because "It is New!"

sorry...bad joke...but...there will be no casing clearance or gear clearance...

thanx for your answer i really appreciate this

1. How does the gear pump cavi mystery occur?

The gear pump cavi mystery occurs when air or gas gets trapped in the gear pump, preventing it from properly priming and causing it to malfunction.

2. What are the common symptoms of gear pump cavi mystery?

The most common symptoms of gear pump cavi mystery include difficulty in priming the pump, inconsistent flow rate, and loud or unusual noises coming from the pump.

3. What causes gear pump cavi mystery?

Gear pump cavi mystery can be caused by a variety of factors, such as air leaks in the pump, worn out gears, or improper installation or maintenance of the pump.

4. How can I solve gear pump cavi mystery?

To solve gear pump cavi mystery, you can try troubleshooting the pump by checking for air leaks, replacing worn out gears, and ensuring proper installation and maintenance. You can also consider using a different type of pump that is less prone to caviation.

5. Is priming necessary for gear pumps?

In most cases, priming is necessary for gear pumps to ensure proper functioning. However, with the right design and maintenance, some gear pumps may not require priming. This is known as "self-priming" and it eliminates the need for manual priming.