1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear Ratio

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    Does altering Gear Ratio improve efficiency (loss of energy as heat while converting EE to ME) of a machine? I also read online that having higher gear contact ratio improves the efficiency, but I really don't understand how.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not basically. Gear ratios change "mechanical advantage". Think of a bicycle. In low gear you can climb a modest hill more easily (less force on the pedals) but you have to make more pedal revolutions to climb the hill, whereas in high gear to climb the same hill you have to pedal with more force on the pedals, but then you don't have to pedal as many pedal revolutions.

Expended energy to climb the hill = 2π x (pedal force) x (number of revolutions) x (pedal lever arm). Lever arm is constant. So the expended energy is the same in low and high gear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted