Calculating Output Torque of a 3hp Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3hp motor with a torque of 110.85 lb*in, a gear box with a max torque of 6286 lb*in and a gear ratio of 57.64:1. The individual also mentions having gears attached to the gearbox shaft with a gear reduction of 3.375:1 and asks if the new gear ratio would be 194.53:1, resulting in an output torque of approximately 21,500 lb*in. However, there is also a discussion about the accuracy of the motor's torque and the potential impact of AC motors on torque.
cbp5029
I have a 3hp motor, with a torque of 110.85 lb*in. a gear box with a max torque of 6286 lb*in.

gear box ratio is 57.64:1

I have gears attached to the gearbox shaft with a gear reduction of 3.375:1.

My new gear ratio should be 194.53:1 right?...

which would make my output torque approx. 21,500 lb*in...?

just checking

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure about your motor's torque? I ask because you list the gearbox's max torque (is that it's rated torque) at a value that is lower than the motor torque*reduction.

Also, understand that AC motors (if that's what you are using) are not constant torque machines. They have torque curves, and starting/peak torque can be upwards of 200% (in some cases much higher) of rated torque.

I'd verify you've got the right parts for the application.

As per your question, yes, if you have a gearbox with a 57.64:1 ratio and the output of that is subjected to another 3.375:1 reduction, you will have a 194.53:1 reduction and theoretical torque of 21,500 in*lb (depending on efficiency of the powertrain).

1. How is the output torque of a 3hp motor calculated?

The output torque of a 3hp motor can be calculated by multiplying the horsepower by 5252 and dividing the result by the motor speed in revolutions per minute (RPM). This formula is known as the horsepower to torque conversion formula.

2. What is the unit of measurement for output torque?

The unit of measurement for output torque is typically pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm). This represents the amount of force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the output torque affect the performance of a motor?

The output torque of a motor directly affects its ability to perform work. A higher output torque means the motor can exert more force and work on heavier loads. It also determines the maximum speed at which the motor can operate.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact the output torque of a 3hp motor?

Yes, the output torque of a motor can also be affected by the efficiency of the motor, the type of load it is powering, and any additional gear or pulley systems that may be attached to it.

5. Can the output torque of a 3hp motor be increased?

The output torque of a motor can be increased by using a larger motor with a higher horsepower rating or by using a gear or pulley system to increase the mechanical advantage. However, it is important to note that the maximum output torque of a motor is limited by its design and cannot be increased indefinitely.