Calculating Gear RPM: Understanding Tire and Shaft Rotation | 60 Tooth Gear

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the RPM of a 60 tooth gear given the rotation of an 8.4" tire at 0.68 RPM. There is confusion about whether the gear will also rotate at 11.45 RPM, and the conversation includes a mental exercise to demonstrate that the gear and tire are indeed rotating at the same speed. However, there may be some speed oscillation due to the use of a simple universal joint.
JudahZ
Hey Guys,

So in the attached image I'm trying to determine what the rpm of the 60 tooth gear will be given the 8.4" tire will be rotating at .68 rpm, everything else is just an assumption on my part.

I'm assuming the following which is probably wong:

The tire being rotated at .68 rpm will result in the .5" linked shaft rotating at 11.45 rpm. I'm dividing the circumference of the tire by the circumference of the shaft and multiplying by the rpm of the tire to arrive at 11.45 rpm.

If the .5" shaft is rotating at 11.45 rpm for the purpose of calculations will the 60 tooth gear also be rotating at 11.45 rpm? Sorry, I obviously suck @ life.

example_drive.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this as a mental exercise.
1) Put a chalk mark on the tire so you can tell when it makes on complete revolution. (Say at the top.)
2) Put a mark on the shaft at the same place as the mark on the tire. (Again at the top.)
3) Now turn the tire a quarter revolution.

How many revolutions did the shaft make? Don't bother with any math, just think it thru.

Likes billy_joule
Tom.G said:
Try this as a mental exercise.
1) Put a chalk mark on the tire so you can tell when it makes on complete revolution. (Say at the top.)
2) Put a mark on the shaft at the same place as the mark on the tire. (Again at the top.)
3) Now turn the tire a quarter revolution.

How many revolutions did the shaft make? Don't bother with any math, just think it thru.

well, they both made a 1/4 revolution. So would this mean the shaft & gear is at .68 rpm? lol

Yup, you got it!

Tom.G said:
Yup, you got it!
Thanks man!

Note that with a simple universal joint there will be some speed oscillation between the tire and the gear. Simple universal joints are not constant velocity. If that doesn't matter then the tire and the gear are turning at the same RPM. Everything, including the tire, the 60T gear, the intermediate shafts, the universal joint will be rotating at the same speed.

1. What is Gear RPM?

Gear RPM stands for "revolutions per minute" and refers to the number of rotations a gear makes in one minute.

2. How is Gear RPM calculated?

Gear RPM is calculated by dividing the number of rotations the gear makes by the time it takes to make those rotations, typically measured in minutes.

3. What factors affect Gear RPM?

The size and number of teeth on the gear, the speed and torque of the gear's input, and the material and lubrication of the gear can all affect Gear RPM.

4. Why is Gear RPM important?

Gear RPM is important because it helps determine the speed and power of a gear system. It is also used to ensure the gears are operating within their safe and efficient ranges.

5. How can Gear RPM be changed?

Gear RPM can be changed by altering the size or number of teeth on the gear, adjusting the speed or torque of the input, or using different materials or lubrication.