Y: Gear Shaft Design - Calculations/Selections and AutoCAD Drawing

In summary, the designer needs to choose a shaft that can withstand a load of 50-100 kg, has a diameter of at least 320 cm, and is made of a metal that is strong enough to withstand the pressure.
kevinlam87
Design the shaft assembly of gear 2 with the following information:

Gear:
The specification of the involute helical gears are as follows
Pressure angle: 20 degrees
Torque acting on gear 1, T1= 95500Nmm
Number of teeth: N1= 55(gear1), N2=135(gear 2)
Helix angle= 15 degrees
Tooth Width b= 50 mm
Gear quality grade:8
Input speed n1=1450rpm
Machine for power input: electrical motor
Machines to be driven by the motor: push press drive
Tooth Surfaces of both gear 1 and 2 are soft
Material of both gears is steel
Allowable contact stress= 570N/mm2
Allowable bending stress= 380 N/mm2

Requirement:
Detail the following calculation/ selections
1) Gear Ebnding and contact stresses
2) Bearing selection
3)Key and key way design

I don't get how u can find out the module(m), I been trying to do it for days and I just can't work my way around it, please help me...my dealine is in 2 days time and I also need to produce a Auto CAd drawing too!

KEv

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start with Machinery's Handbook, a visit to the Boston Gear site, and also a visit to the SDPSI site to get some ideas about the gear. For the bearings, I recommend the SKF site and one (several) of the standard machine design books, as well as Machinery's Handbook.

Good luck.

Last edited:
i think i have determint the module...I run into a problem though...I tried to work out the dynamic factor so I could apply into the eqution...the graph infront of me doesn't show the dynamic factor for grade 8 quality as it ran out

how to choose appropriate shaft

Hi,
I need to build a kind of a test device for bicycle rims. Already attached some pictures of the design. The problem is I'm not a mechanical engineer and don't know what the principles for choosing the right shaft.

There is a big metal drum placed in a frame and it is going to be 130cm diameter nearly 320kg. The rims going to be placed on the yellow tilting mechanism. By applying load ( 50-100 kg on each arm)to red arms and turning the drum, rims will be tested. I will use an electrical motor which is placed outside of the frame and the transmission is going to be with a belt. This is the basic idea. However I don't know how to calculate the diameter of the drum shaft that I need.
I already checked the google and try to find out something similar to that "device" but couldn’t find it. There are lots of information like bending moment and torque but they are not that much easy for me to understand. I hope u guys help me.

Attachments

• pics.JPG
    pics.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 477

1. What is the purpose of gear shaft design?

The purpose of gear shaft design is to calculate and select the appropriate gear shaft for a specific application, considering factors such as torque, speed, material, and compatibility with other components. The design process also involves creating detailed engineering drawings using software such as AutoCAD.

2. What calculations are involved in gear shaft design?

The main calculations involved in gear shaft design include determining the required torque, speed, and power for the application, as well as selecting the appropriate gear ratio and gear size. Other calculations may include stress analysis, fatigue analysis, and bearing selection.

3. How do you select the right gear shaft for a specific application?

Selecting the right gear shaft for a specific application involves considering factors such as the required torque, speed, power, and gear ratio, as well as the material and compatibility with other components. It is important to carefully analyze the design requirements and consult with experts to ensure the best selection.

4. What is the importance of using AutoCAD for gear shaft design?

AutoCAD is a powerful software tool that allows for precise and detailed engineering drawings, which are essential for gear shaft design. It also enables easy modification and customization of designs, as well as the ability to create 3D models and simulations for testing and validation.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of gear shaft design?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of gear shaft design, it is important to follow industry standards and best practices, as well as conduct thorough testing and analysis. It is also crucial to consult with experienced engineers and use advanced software tools for design and validation.