Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear Shift With a button

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    I've a gearbox from a 250 cc Honda engine. The pattern in one down and four up. This engine will be integrated into a car, so the changing of gears will be difficult with the foot pedal. wouldn't it ? :) . So i decided to integrate a small motor to the gear shift pedal so that it can change gears. Is this feasible?
    Will it work?
    any answers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    what about hydraulic shifting? Like using a paintball CO2 bottle or those 12 gram co2 cartridges.

Is weight a concern? Would the motor and its power supply be lighter than a co2 shifting system?

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

It shouldn't be hard to add a linkage from the gearbox to a regular floor-mounted stick. A cable system would probably be easiest.

5. Nov 17, 2007 #4
    SELENOID A DOUBLE should work to shift up and down
    trick is to match it to the effort required
    not too strong or weak
    but there are alot of car [12v] selenoids in use
    a trip to a junk yard should get you a bunch

6. Nov 17, 2007 #5
    what exactly is a selenoid? whats it used for in a car?

7. Nov 17, 2007 #6
    and the idea behind the motor, is to make the gear shift with a button or paddle... while still using the clutch with the other hand... all this on the steering wheel

8. Nov 18, 2007 #7
    a selenoid is a el-trick magnet that moves something
    a double throw selenoid moves in and out depending on current direction
    most are switches but some move things like on a starter or a air flow flap

9. Nov 18, 2007 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may have better luck searching for a 'selenoid' if you spell it 'solenoid'.

Personally, I think this sounds like the kind of application where you'd be much better off with a mechanical linkage of some sort. Danger's suggestion of cables would be worth looking at, or (depending on packaging constraints) a simple system of pivoting rods.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  10. Nov 19, 2007 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an excellent way to do it. I recently saw an internet video that had just this setup in a dune buggy with a rear-mounted 1200cc crotch-rocket engine in it. There was a "shifter" next to the driver, forward was shift up and backward was shift down.

Using a solenoid is extra weight and extra trouble. I too would go for the mechanical shift linkage approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?