Calculating Gear Train w(1) Without a w(arm)

• Thread starter paulbk108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Train
In summary, a gear train is a mechanical system that uses two or more gears to transmit power and motion. To calculate the speed of the first gear in a gear train without a w(arm), the formula w(1) = (n1/n2) * w(2) can be used assuming constant mesh and no slipping or sliding between gears. This calculation is important for designing and analyzing mechanical systems. Factors such as gear size, shape, material, and external forces can affect the speed of the first gear. However, this formula cannot be used if a w(arm) is present, as it changes the dynamics of the gear train and requires a different formula.
paulbk108
Good day folks,

I hope someone can help me.

How do I calculate w(1) without a w(arm)? There is no fixed gear, so no w(gear) = 0 as per normal, which has me baffled.

Also - how do I calculate the overall gear ratio?

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that everyone knows what you are talking about.

What is a gear train?

A gear train is a mechanical system that consists of two or more gears that are connected and work together to transmit power and motion from one part of the machine to another.

How do you calculate gear train w(1) without a w(arm)?

To calculate the gear train w(1) without a w(arm), you will need to use the formula w(1) = (n1/n2) * w(2), where n1 is the number of teeth on the first gear and n2 is the number of teeth on the second gear. This formula assumes that the gears are in constant mesh and there is no slipping or sliding between them.

What is the purpose of calculating gear train w(1) without a w(arm)?

The purpose of calculating gear train w(1) without a w(arm) is to determine the rotational speed of the first gear in a gear train when the second gear is rotating at a known speed. This can be useful in designing and analyzing mechanical systems that use gear trains, such as in vehicles or industrial machinery.

What are some factors that can affect gear train w(1) without a w(arm)?

Some factors that can affect gear train w(1) without a w(arm) include the number of teeth on each gear, the size and shape of the gears, the type of material used for the gears, and any external forces or loads acting on the gear train.

Can you use the same formula to calculate gear train w(1) with a w(arm)?

No, you cannot use the same formula to calculate gear train w(1) with a w(arm) because the presence of the w(arm) changes the dynamics and forces acting on the gears. In this case, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the additional forces and components in the gear train.