Why Are T1 and TL Negative in Gear Train Dynamics?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the equations (1) and (2) describe a gear train system with two torques (T1 and T2) acting on the shaft in opposite directions. T1 and T2 are negative because they are resisting the rotation of the gear. These torques are present because the load torque (T) is being transmitted through the gears and divided among them. It is not physically impossible for a single shaft to have two torques acting on it in opposite directions in a gear train system.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Equations (1) and (2) describe this gear train system. I'm confused about them.

For (1):
If I rewrite it (∑F=0 format) I get:
T-T1-Jθ''-Bθ' = 0
The figure clearly shows θ1 positive spinning towards the bottom. Why then is T1 negative if it is spinning in the same direction as θ1? I understand the inertia and damping is always opposite to the defined positive direction.

For (2):
T2-TL-Jθ''-Bθ' = 0
Since the figure doesn't show the direction TL is going, why is it negative?

Also why is there a T1 and T2 if I only apply a load T? Shouldn't it just be T-Jθ''-Bθ' = 0 ? Where did T1 and T2 come from if I only applied T? And what exactly is a load torque?

Now I'm thinking isn't it physically impossible for a single shaft to have two torques going in opposite directions?

I'm obviously very confused on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 12.35.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 12.35.27 PM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org

I completely understand your confusion with the equations and the direction of the torques. Let me try to explain it to you.

Firstly, in equation (1), T1 is negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of θ1. This means that T1 is trying to resist the rotation of the gear in the positive direction (towards the bottom). Similarly, in equation (2), TL is negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the gear's rotation.

Now, for your question about why there are two torques (T1 and T2) when you only applied one load torque (T), the answer lies in the gear train system itself. The gear train is a system of gears connected by shafts, and each gear has its own torque. In this system, the load torque (T) is being transmitted through the gears and is divided among them. This is why there are two torques (T1 and T2) in the equations.

As for your last question, it is not physically impossible for a single shaft to have two torques acting on it in opposite directions. This is a common occurrence in gear train systems, where the gears are connected to the shaft and are rotating in different directions.

I hope this clears up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a gear train system?

A gear train system is a mechanical system that uses multiple gears to transmit power and motion from one part of a machine to another. It is often used in machines such as engines, bicycles, and clocks.

2. How does a gear train system work?

A gear train system works by meshing two or more gears together. When one gear rotates, it transfers its motion and power to the other gears in the system. This allows for the speed and torque of the system to be changed according to the gear ratio.

3. What is gear ratio and why is it important?

Gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the driven gear to the number of teeth on the driving gear. It is important because it determines the speed and torque of the gear train system. A higher gear ratio will result in higher torque and lower speed, while a lower gear ratio will result in lower torque and higher speed.

4. What factors affect the dynamics of a gear train system?

The dynamics of a gear train system can be affected by several factors, including the number of gears in the system, the size and shape of the gears, the gear ratio, the material and lubrication of the gears, and any external forces or loads applied to the system.

5. How can the efficiency of a gear train system be improved?

The efficiency of a gear train system can be improved by using high-quality, precisely machined gears, minimizing friction between the gears through proper lubrication, and choosing an optimal gear ratio for the specific application. Additionally, reducing the number of gears in the system can also improve efficiency.