Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gear windage

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    Dear all

Anybody define,what is exaclty gear windage loss?

Text books defined that loss due to lubricants etc....vague

Thanking u

Prakash

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i can not address GEAR windage loss but i can tell you that internal combustion engines suffer horsepower loss caused by motor oil from the crankcase. Crankshaft windage blows oil (windgage) and the oil attaches to the crankshaft, this parasitic drag robs 15 horsepower. Chrysler engineers made a sheet metal windage tray with drain holes for the oil returning from the top of the engine (valve train). Oil in this case SEA 50 weight , is pretty thick,,SAE 90 gear oil is a lot thicker...if ther gears are spinning fast and the lube is a few inches below or at gear level,,it is something to look at

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Gear windage is the portion of overall power required to rotate a gear set in the oil/air atmosphere inside the gear box. Sometimes, it can also include (depending on who you talk to) losses if the gearing comes in contact with the oil reservoir level, i.e. it is partially submerged. This can be very tough to actually calculate because it is somewhat like a fluid dynamics problem but the fluid is a 2 phase mixture of air and oil. Getting good values of properties like density and viscosity can be tough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook