Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gearbox Backlash

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    hello,i wanted to ask if we have integrated two spur gearboxes with different backlash values.How will the backlash add up at the output.Should i multiply the two backlash values,add them or there is a another relationship for it.Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

JBA

You should multiply the first unit's backlash by the input/output ratio of the second unit and then add that result to the of the second unit's backlash.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    Jba thnks for the reply.....can u tell me how u gathered that?.....or may be a link where i can read abt it more?

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

JBA

I can't give you any references, it simply comes from my general knowledge of gear assemblies.

Think of it this way: Backlash is simply a small rotational output movement of the first gearbox with its input shaft static; and, any input from that first gearbox is multplied by the ratio of the second second gearbox. On the other hand, backlash in the second gearbox is a direct measurement of the rotation of its output shaft with respect a nonrotating input shaft. With that said: then "oscillation i.e. backlash" can be substituted for "rotation" in the both of the above statements; thereefore, total backlash at the output shaft of the second gearbox = (the backlash of the first gearbox x the ratio of the second gearbox) + the direct backlash of the second gearbox.

Does this help you understand any better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook