1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gearbox Backlash

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    hello,i wanted to ask if we have integrated two spur gearboxes with different backlash values.How will the backlash add up at the output.Should i multiply the two backlash values,add them or there is a another relationship for it.Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

JBA

You should multiply the first unit's backlash by the input/output ratio of the second unit and then add that result to the of the second unit's backlash.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    Jba thnks for the reply.....can u tell me how u gathered that?.....or may be a link where i can read abt it more?

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

JBA

I can't give you any references, it simply comes from my general knowledge of gear assemblies.

Think of it this way: Backlash is simply a small rotational output movement of the first gearbox with its input shaft static; and, any input from that first gearbox is multplied by the ratio of the second second gearbox. On the other hand, backlash in the second gearbox is a direct measurement of the rotation of its output shaft with respect a nonrotating input shaft. With that said: then "oscillation i.e. backlash" can be substituted for "rotation" in the both of the above statements; thereefore, total backlash at the output shaft of the second gearbox = (the backlash of the first gearbox x the ratio of the second gearbox) + the direct backlash of the second gearbox.

Does this help you understand any better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook