Calculating Gearbox Torque for Rotating a 500kg Load with a Handwheel Setup

In summary, Raj is asking for help in calculating the torque required to rotate a 500 kg load using a handwheel and a gearbox. He has used the formula Torque= force x per. Distance x coefficient of friction and is unsure if it is correct. However, upon further clarification, it seems that his use of coefficient of friction may be incorrect and the setup shown in the attached image is different from his initial description. More information or a sketch of the actual setup is needed to accurately answer his question.
Rajashekar
Hi team
In my one of the application I have to use the gear box to rotate 500 kg load
I have to use handwheel to rotate
I am using the formula
Torque= force x per. Distance x coefficient of friction
= 500x.7x.8 : 2800 Nm
Is it correct to calculate the torque
I have attached the image for clarity could you please help

Thanks in advance
Regards
Raj

Attachments

• IMG-20160802-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20160802-WA0005.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 702
Engineering news on Phys.org
Rajashekar said:
Hi team
In my one of the application I have to use the gear box to rotate 500 kg load
I have to use handwheel to rotate
I am using the formula
Torque= force x per. Distance x coefficient of friction
= 500x.7x.8 : 2800 Nm
Is it correct to calculate the torque
I have attached the image for clarity could you please help

Thanks in advance
Regards
Raj
Your use of coefficient of friction seems incorrect. Moreover you have mentioned that a hand-wheel would be used for rotation but the figure shows something far different from a hand-wheel setup. If you can sketch the actual setup, take a pic of it and post it then it will be easier to answer your question.

benny_91 said:
Your use of coefficient of friction seems incorrect. Moreover you have mentioned that a hand-wheel would be used for rotation but the figure shows something far different from a hand-wheel setup. If you can sketch the actual setup, take a pic of it and post it then it will be easier to answer your question.
Hi Benny
Thanks for your reply
I have attached the image for your understanding
The gearbox is mounted to a block
The block has a guide rod and that swivels when gearbox is operated
The gearbox is a double reduction gearbox

Attachments

• P_20160805_092925.jpg
    P_20160805_092925.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 563

1. What is gearbox torque?

Gearbox torque is the amount of rotational force that is transmitted by a gearbox. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft) and indicates the strength or power of the gearbox.

2. Why is gearbox torque important?

Gearbox torque is important because it determines the amount of force that can be transmitted through the gears. This is crucial for the functioning of various mechanical systems, such as vehicles, industrial machinery, and power tools.

3. How is gearbox torque calculated?

Gearbox torque can be calculated by multiplying the gear ratio (the number of teeth on the driven gear divided by the number of teeth on the driving gear) by the driving torque (the amount of force applied to the driving gear).

4. What factors affect gearbox torque?

The factors that affect gearbox torque include the gear ratio, the size and number of teeth on the gears, and the amount of force applied to the driving gear. Friction, wear and tear, and the type of lubrication used can also impact gearbox torque.

5. How can gearbox torque be increased?

Gearbox torque can be increased by using a larger gear ratio, increasing the size and number of teeth on the gears, and applying more force to the driving gear. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help to maintain or increase gearbox torque over time.