Increase RPM & Calculate Torque with Gearbox

In summary, the conversation is discussing ways to increase RPM using a gearbox and how to calculate torque at a specific RPM. Possible solutions mentioned include using a speed increasing gearbox with at least 3 stages, a hydraulic pump and motor with a 150 times displacement ratio, and a Föttinger clutch or torque converter. The discussion also touches on the structure and working principle of a hydraulic coupling and the potential use of a KERS unit. It is clarified that this conversation is not about a torque converter used in a vehicle, and that questions about torque converters would be better suited for a different forum.
kotsios7
Hi guys,
i would like to ask
how do i increase my rpm using a gearbox (2,3,4 stages i don't mind)
Input rpm 10 target output rpm 1500 and after that how can i calculate my torque?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

A speed increasing gearbox will probably need at least 3 stages to give a 150 x increase in RPM.
There will be significant losses. The practical solution will be dependent on how much power output you require.
What is the application? How much torque do you require at 1500 RPM?

Power = torque * RPM

There is possibly a single stage solution. A big shaft hydraulic pump driving a small shaft hydraulic motor where the pump has 150 times the displacement of the motor would achieve the required ratio.

Baluncore said:
There is possibly a single stage solution. A big shaft hydraulic pump driving a small shaft hydraulic motor where the pump has 150 times the displacement of the motor would achieve the required ratio.

Föttinger clutch and the Torque converter come to mind. Porsche uses them in their SUV. But,what the OP is talking about is the 5th gear i.e overdrive.
Baluncore:
How the 'Turbine'(the output side) is made to spin faster than the flywheel side(input side) just by pumping-in more oil has always been a mystery(to me). Could you please clear that up? I know the structure and working principle of the hydraulic coupling. But,its overdrive characteristics are always left to merky insider info. People say its the KERS unit that kicks-in as the overdrive but I'm not really sure...

kotsios7 is asking about a 10 RPM = 1 rev per 6 seconds. That is a very big windmill or a water wheel.
The 1500 RPM output speed is the same as an electric motor or generator.

I was suggesting positive displacement hydraulic components.

So, I don't think this thread is about a torque converter used in a vehicle.
Questions about torque converters would probably be better under engineering/mechanical/automotive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

1. How does a gearbox increase RPM?

A gearbox increases RPM by using a series of gears with different sizes. As the input gear rotates, it transfers its energy to the smaller output gear, causing it to rotate at a faster speed, thus increasing the RPM.

2. Can you explain the concept of gear ratios in calculating torque?

Gear ratios play a crucial role in calculating torque with a gearbox. The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the input gear to the number of teeth on the output gear. The larger the gear ratio, the greater the torque multiplication and the lower the output speed.

3. How do you calculate torque with a gearbox?

To calculate torque with a gearbox, you need to know the gear ratio, input speed, and input torque. The formula for calculating torque is torque = gear ratio * input torque. This means that the torque at the output will be higher than the input torque due to the gear ratio.

4. What are the factors that affect torque and RPM in a gearbox?

The factors that affect torque and RPM in a gearbox include the gear ratio, gear size and shape, friction, and the material used for the gears. The gear ratio determines the torque multiplication, while the gear size and shape affect the efficiency of power transfer. Friction and the material used can also affect the amount of torque and RPM produced.

5. How can you increase torque without changing the gear ratio?

There are a few ways to increase torque without changing the gear ratio in a gearbox. One way is to increase the input speed, as torque is directly proportional to speed. Another way is to increase the diameter of the gears, as larger gears will have a greater torque multiplication. Additionally, reducing friction and using high-quality materials for the gears can also help increase torque.