Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geb IMO Gold Medalists?

1. May 28, 2003 #1
    Why was this book among the favorite books of IMO Gold Medalists?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2003 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am currently working on a re-read of GEB, first time was ~20yrs ago. It is a challenging read, it is very information dense, but also very intertaining.

Take a deep breath and dive in.

4. May 28, 2003 #3
    So why do IMO guys like this book again? I'm on like page 22, so far I have understood that it's about infinity works of Escher and Bach and Godel.

Escher's paintings are amazing, that waterfull, bach's whatever music piece i didn't understand, and Godel's weird proposal...

5. May 28, 2003 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who or what is IMO? I can't tell you why they like it, I can only tell you why I like it.

It remains my best model of how the brain works, he explains this by using an anthill as an example.

Then there is the palindrome dialog called Crab Canon, 2 pages of dialog which reads the same forwards and BACKWARDS.

This book is full of information presented in a very creative fashion. I Would recomend reading it slowly, digesting each chapter before starting the next. If you have intrest in strange loops, this book is required reading.

6. May 29, 2003 #5
    It is a challenging intellectual exercise to read GEB. Some of his points are very interesting, and it presents Godel's theorem so that it is relatively easy to understand the proof as opposed to just the theorem.

Sometimes the diagogues between tortoise and achilles seem a bit pointless, but then something clicks and you can see the structure and the point the author is making.

7. May 29, 2003 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is fascinating how the concepts of the strange loop as presented in Music, Math and Art are blended together in a work which becomes an example of the strange loop in litureature. This is all about self referential statements in many different forms.

It is a challenging read, but worth the effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?