1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GED vs diploma?

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    I dropped out of high-school this year, was tired of everyone telling me to go to college when I didn't even know what I wanted to do. I want to go into astronomy/cosmology with a minor in physics. I live next to the cheapest college in Florida, I know this because it is advertised as such. I know ill be able to get my associates their, but will having a GED prevent me from getting loans or grants? Possibly prevent me from getting into a good university after getting my AA, even if I have really good grades?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    If you have really good grades post-highschool, I wouldn't imagine it would hurt your chances much if you have a GED (unless you wanted to go to a prestigious school). I can't say for certain, but I would doubt it. Having a GED would certainly not prevent you from getting loans or grants from FAFSA (your/your parents' income might though on the latter).

Here in California, most of the Universities have "transfer agreements" with the local community colleges. If you do courses from a specified program along with the lower division major requirements, you're practically guaranteed entrance with a decent GPA (some schools it is as low as ~2.5GPA others it is >3.5). However, I believe they are changing this to require an associate's degree prior to transfer. I'm not sure how it is in FL, even though I went to highschool there, but that is something to look into.

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Thankyou, i just needed some reassurance.

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    I graduated with a GED. Then I went into community colleges. I did well, then I transferred to one of the top engineering schools in the country. You won't be burdened by the GED.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook