Swollen Face After Wisdom Teeth Extraction

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: mucking about with sinuses and abcesses is definitely going to cause more swelling than just wisdom tooth removal.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got my wisdom teeth out Friday morning. The first day it was like nothing happened. No swelling or soreness. (of course, I keep the Vicoden coming - wheee!) Day two my face poofed up on one side. Today, day 3, I am the most swollen of all. Everyone had warned me the third day was the worst for swelling. Why the three day delay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you're not feeling well MIH. Keep following instructions and try not to get dry socket.

That's about how long it takes for a full blown inflammatory reaction to build up. Day 2 is when the swelling starts, and Day 3 when it really gets bad, but then it'll start going down again (you will still look like a chipmunk in the Christmas pictures though...sorry). You'll just have to sing like this:
http://links2love.com/christmas-songs-chipmunk-song.htm

I'm so sorry to hear that. Mine poofed up right away, and went down durring the course of a week. Try some ice, it may help. If it dosen't, try a little Jack in your nog..then think only happy thoughts.

hypatia said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. Mine poofed up right away, and went down durring the course of a week. Try some ice, it may help.
Ice will help for pain, but you can also try hot compresses on your cheek to draw out the swelling.

If it dosen't, try a little Jack in your nog..
Now, why does that sound dirty? :rofl: (Note, don't take the Vicodin if you're going to be drinking! That's a dangerous combination.)

I totally look like a Chipmunk. hee hee, but so does my brother since he got his done the same day. (Ironically his name is Theodore - I guess I will have to be Alvin or Simon).
The side where they only took out wisdom teeth is totally fine, but on the other side they took out a wisdom tooth on the bottom and a messed up root-canalled molar on top which turned out to have an abcess and they had to do sinus repair surgery. I am under doctor's orders not to sneeze or blow my nose for a week!

luckily I am home and Mommy is fixing me ice packs and taking care of me and my brother. I am so glad I didn't try to do this by myself.

How can you be on doctor's orders not to sneeze? Isn't NOT sneezing dangerous?

I can remember when my sister had hers out. She looked a bit like a chipmunk before, so you can imagine what she looked in the days immediately after.

Don't get too near someone using pepper on the turkey (or whatever)!

Waaaaa I miss my Mommy! Shes in New Mexico, but that's sooo much like what she would do. Ca'mon ya'all come down and get your teeth pulled!

yeah, I am taking antihistamines twice a day so I don't start sneezing. so far, so good. But it will be harder when I get back to L.A. I think.

Math Is Hard said:
luckily I am home and Mommy is fixing me ice packs and taking care of me and my brother. I am so glad I didn't try to do this by myself.
Sorry about the discomfort - you're lucky that you've got someone to ease the load for a few days until you're feeling better. I'll keep you in mind tonight when I'm enjoying jalapeno poppers and beer. :devil: Hey! put down that cod! :eek:

hypatia said:
Waaaaa I miss my Mommy! Shes in New Mexico, but that's sooo much like what she would do. Ca'mon ya'all come down and get your teeth pulled!

she has been making us potato soup and banana milk shakes.:smile: I hope to eat a "real" dinner tonight though.

turbo-1 said:
Sorry about the discomfort - you're lucky that you've got someone to ease the load for a few days until you're feeling better. I'll keep you in mind tonight when I'm enjoying jalapeno poppers and beer. :devil: Hey! put down that cod!

I'm too loopy from the Vicoden to take a swing, turbo, so you're off the hook for now.

I didn't think sneezing was really a choice. :bugeye: That would be miserable to be told not to blow your nose too, but at least that's something you can choose to do (are you allowed to pick your nose? :biggrin:).

Okay, ugh, yeah, mucking about with sinuses and abcesses is definitely going to cause more swelling than just wisdom tooth removal. On the up-side, maybe that will resolve some sinus problems for you if that was the cause of them.

Moonbear said:
I didn't think sneezing was really a choice. :bugeye: That would be miserable to be told not to blow your nose too, but at least that's something you can choose to do (are you allowed to pick your nose? :biggrin:).

Okay, ugh, yeah, mucking about with sinuses and abcesses is definitely going to cause more swelling than just wisdom tooth removal. On the up-side, maybe that will resolve some sinus problems for you if that was the cause of them.

It certainly explains some problems I was having with that tooth and with frequent sinus and ear infections. I think I will be much healthier in the new year.:smile: I am doing much better this afternoon - I just ate a hamburger.

Math Is Hard said:
It certainly explains some problems I was having with that tooth and with frequent sinus and ear infections. I think I will be much healthier in the new year.:smile: I am doing much better this afternoon - I just ate a hamburger.

Wow, hamburgers are challenging after having teeth removed...you have to open your mouth pretty big to fit one in! :biggrin: You definitely must be feeling better (or are still enjoying that Vicodin).

Edit: :rofl: I just noticed your new avatar! A pufferfish seems appropriate! :rofl:

Hope you feel better soon, puffy!

Math Is Hard said:
The side where they only took out wisdom teeth is totally fine, but on the other side they took out a wisdom tooth on the bottom and a messed up root-canalled molar on top which turned out to have an abcess and they had to do sinus repair surgery.
Ouch!

I hope the inflammation decreases quickly and you feel better soon.

I had an abcessed tooth once which required a root canal as soon as I could get an appointment - I think the next day actually. I had to put ice on the gum to kill the pain.

I was lucky with wisdom teeth - I only had one which came in more or less normally. The dentist pulled it with the usual pliers, except he had to use both hands to pull and had to put his foot on the chair for leverage - I kid you not.

Moonbear said:
Wow, hamburgers are challenging after having teeth removed...you have to open your mouth pretty big to fit one in! :biggrin: You definitely must be feeling better (or are still enjoying that Vicodin).

I had to smash the hamburger really flat and then nibble on it. But it was really good. I am getting burned out on soup.
Gokul said:
Hope you feel better soon, puffy!
Thanks! I am trying to be patient. *sigh*

astronuc said:
I was lucky with wisdom teeth - I only had one which came in more or less normally. The dentist pulled it with the usual pliers, except he had to use both hands to pull and had to put his foot on the chair for leverage - I kid you not.
I was a little worried it might be a Texas style extraction and I might wake up with boot prints on my shirt!:eek:

Math Is Hard said:
I was a little worried it might be a Texas style extraction and I might wake up with boot prints on my shirt!:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Around here we call that a date!

I hope you feel better soon.

Math Is Hard said:
I had a similar problem about 15 years ago with ear problems, blockages, swollen glands, etc. I went to the dentist, who said that he would have to perform a root canal on a molar WAY in the back of my mouth, but that I would have to take antibiotics for a while before he could do so. I took the antibiotics (they really screw up my innards - lots of unscheduled trips to the bathroom!) and went back on schedule to get the root canal. Then, it was time for more antibiotics until he would remove the temporary filling and patch up the tooth for good. I went back to get that done, and as he was removing the temporary filling, I about kicked him through the ceiling. Seems he hadn't done a very good job getting all the nerves, and he had to perform yet another root canal on the same tooth. I thought that the aftermath of the first one was painful - it could not compare to the second one. Another week went by and I got the permanent filling. Unfortunately, he was a bit aggressive with the drilling and filling, and the next weekend as I was biting into a Ritz cracker with cheese and a smoked oyster, a piece of that molar the size of my little fingernail split off. That drove my tongue crazy, until I got in there with a diamond file and rounded off some of the sharpest edges. I haven't seen a dentist since. If I get another infection, I'll have the tooth pulled and be done with it, but there will be no more excavation in my mouth.

Edit: Nice avatar, Puffy!

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I think I'd rather have no teeth at all. What useless, inconvenient bits of mineral.

I'd sooner die of gum disease than have teeth pulled out, thank you very much.

Rach3 said:
After reading this thread, I think I'd rather have no teeth at all. What useless, inconvenient bits of mineral.

I'd sooner die of gum disease than have teeth pulled out, thank you very much.

Uhhh... No, you definitely wouldn't...

lol, mathishard, I feel your pain :wink:

I got mine out Thursday morning and look like quite the chipmunk today. Cheeks are super swollen and starting to bruise :cry: They were feeling better yesterday but now I've got a very gross taste in my mouth and one side of my mouth is pretty painful, so I'm a little afraid I might be developing a dry socket. On the brightside, I had temporary nerve damage on one side (the nerve decided it would be a good idea to wrap around the root of the tooth:wink:) that's finally starting to go away:biggrin:

Sounds like you're making a good recovery though. Good luck!

Stevedye56 said:
Uhhh... No, you definitely wouldn't...

Oh yes I would. Although it would be even better in Holland, were victims who need teeth pulled have the third option of euthanasia.

Dentists are all diabolically evil. Here's one that just became dictator of an authoritarian regime:

Turkmenistan's New Leader Little-Known

ALMATY, Kazakhstan -- As health minister of Turkmenistan, he presided over a medical system regarded as one of the world's worst. Now Gurbanguli Berdymukhamedov is suddenly head of the country.

...Berdymukhamedov clearly has skills as a survivor. The 49-year-old former dentist has been health minister since 1997 and deputy prime minister since 2001 _ a long tenure given Niyazov's penchant for firing senior officials.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/25/AR2006122500288.html

Ivan Seeking said:
I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. It is good to be back in L.A. and in my own bed now. I don't have to be back at work until the 2nd so I can get all rested up and well.

Turbo, I know what you mean. I have had a rough time undoing a lot of bad work that a previous dentist did (who was of the evil kind that Rach mentioned). The molar I had pulled out was one that had been root-canalled 5 years ago. I gasped when I saw it on the x-ray. There was a giant screw holding the tooth in - it looked like a license plate screw or something. Even my current dentist and oral surgeon were like WTF?!? I am glad to have that weird Frankensteinish thing out of my head.

realkellys, I hope you are doing better. My dad said yesterday he thought my swelling was better. Said it looked like I only had one acorn in my cheek instead of two. :biggrin: I hope you are getting back on normal food. I am so sick of bland food. I got huevos rancheros for breakfast. My system needs a certain amount of hot sauce to function and I couldn't take it any longer. (I did get the mild salsa, though.)

p.s. Evo, thank you for the e-card. I tried to PM you but it said your message box was full.

When I had my wisdom teeth out and my cheeks puffed up, I donned a tuxedo, penciled on a thin moustache and went around pretending I was the Godfather. I made lots of people offers they couldn't refuse. You should try it, Math, before the swelling goes down.

zoobyshoe said:
When I had my wisdom teeth out and my cheeks puffed up, I donned a tuxedo, penciled on a thin moustache and went around pretending I was the Godfather. I made lots of people offers they couldn't refuse. You should try it, Math, before the swelling goes down.

It's only on my left side so I would have to kinda sidle up to them before making the offer. Might ruin the effect.

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. Evo, thank you for the e-card. I tried to PM you but it said your message box was full.
And thank you for the e-card deer (dear). :biggrin:

Why would getting your wisdom tooth pulled cause swelling? I've had 4 molars pulled (for space) and the only inconvient thing was bicycling back home with the vision in my mind that there would be blood dripping out of my mouth :biggrin: ofcourse, now I've got a wisdom tooth that needs to be removed..

Monique said:
Why would getting your wisdom tooth pulled cause swelling? I've had 4 molars pulled (for space) and the only inconvient thing was bicycling back home with the vision in my mind that there would be blood dripping out of my mouth :biggrin: ofcourse, now I've got a wisdom tooth that needs to be removed..

Words from an expert on dental (and eye) problems. :rolleyes:

The Monique Smile

(That picture never loses its charm. :rofl: )

omg, you still have that? :rofl:

Monique said:

I think it depends on the difficulty of the extraction...and in MIH's case, an infection already present. Wisdom teeth are strange things, and the roots are pretty variable. Some come out pretty easily, and others need to be shattered to pieces to take out bit by bit, and others surgically removed by cutting the gum. It also depends on whether the roots are straighter or more twisted, and how close the roots are to the nerve that runs near them (as in therealkelly's case, they can even have the nerve wrapped right around the root). And, well, some people just bruise easier than others too.

When I had mine out (all 4 at once, with two that were so badly impacted, they needed to surgically remove them...they were completely sideways and hadn't broken the surface of the gum but instead were pressing on the roots of the molars next to them), I didn't have any noticeable swelling or pain other than a slight ache from having the muscles of my jaw stretched so far for the oral surgeon to get into my mouth (and I always thought I had a big mouth :rofl:) and where the knots from the stitches I needed were irritating the gum. I didn't take a single one of the vicodin I was prescribed. But, I've seen other people who just have one pulled that has already erupted through the gum, yet their entire face puffs up as if they'd been the loser in a boxing match.

<h2>1. Why does my face swell after wisdom teeth extraction?</h2><p>Swelling after wisdom teeth extraction is a normal response to the trauma of the surgery. The body sends extra blood and fluids to the extraction site to promote healing, which can cause swelling in the surrounding tissues.</p><h2>2. How long does the swelling last?</h2><p>The swelling typically peaks 2-3 days after the surgery and gradually decreases over the next 7-10 days. However, every person heals differently, so the duration of swelling may vary.</p><h2>3. How can I reduce the swelling?</h2><p>You can reduce swelling by applying an ice pack to the affected area for the first 24 hours after surgery. After that, you can switch to warm compresses to increase blood flow and promote healing. It is also important to follow your dentist's post-operative instructions and avoid strenuous activities that may increase swelling.</p><h2>4. Is it normal for the swelling to spread to other parts of my face?</h2><p>Yes, it is normal for the swelling to spread to other parts of your face, such as your cheeks and eyes. This is due to the interconnectedness of the tissues in the face. However, if you experience severe or sudden swelling, it is important to contact your dentist as it may be a sign of infection.</p><h2>5. When should I be concerned about the swelling?</h2><p>If the swelling does not improve after a week, or if it gets worse after a few days, you should contact your dentist. This may be a sign of infection or other complications. Additionally, if you experience difficulty breathing or swallowing, seek immediate medical attention.</p>

1. Why does my face swell after wisdom teeth extraction?

Swelling after wisdom teeth extraction is a normal response to the trauma of the surgery. The body sends extra blood and fluids to the extraction site to promote healing, which can cause swelling in the surrounding tissues.

2. How long does the swelling last?

The swelling typically peaks 2-3 days after the surgery and gradually decreases over the next 7-10 days. However, every person heals differently, so the duration of swelling may vary.

3. How can I reduce the swelling?

You can reduce swelling by applying an ice pack to the affected area for the first 24 hours after surgery. After that, you can switch to warm compresses to increase blood flow and promote healing. It is also important to follow your dentist's post-operative instructions and avoid strenuous activities that may increase swelling.

4. Is it normal for the swelling to spread to other parts of my face?

Yes, it is normal for the swelling to spread to other parts of your face, such as your cheeks and eyes. This is due to the interconnectedness of the tissues in the face. However, if you experience severe or sudden swelling, it is important to contact your dentist as it may be a sign of infection.

5. When should I be concerned about the swelling?

If the swelling does not improve after a week, or if it gets worse after a few days, you should contact your dentist. This may be a sign of infection or other complications. Additionally, if you experience difficulty breathing or swallowing, seek immediate medical attention.