Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GeForce vs ATI

1. ATI

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. GeForce

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    The battle begins!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Right now I have a Geforce 3.

Personally I think both are neck in neck in the market now. Ati has been coming out with very good cards recently. The only thing I don't like about Ati is their horrible drivers. Nvidia has really pushed the quality of video drivers. They even have unified linux drivers which makes installing them a piece of cake. Nvidia's hardware has been lagging behind these past years, especially with the failure some of their FX cards. All I have to say is that I don't need a screeching banshee (No pun intended for you 3dfx fans) taking up two slots and requiring a floppy power supply connector.

4. Nov 25, 2003 #3

Geforce will kick ass. Best card for 3dfx lovers.

5. Nov 26, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

First, a clarification: "GeForce" is a product line. The company is called Nvidia.

Anyway, I own an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700.

ATI currently has a small lead in performance. Nvidia has been hurt by cheating on benchmarks and having settings in their drivers that don't match what the card is doing. When Half Life 2 comes out, owners of high end Nvidia cards will be sorely disappointed by the lack of adequate DirectX 9 support. Refusal to comply with Dx9 (in an effort to force MS to tailor DX9 to Nvidia technology) is why they lost the X-Box 2 to ATI.

ATI is on top right now. Nvidia is close, but they have some severe roadblocks ahead of them that they don't appear to be dealing with adequately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?