Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geminid Meteor Shower

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi gang

we are now heading into the Geminid Meteor shower. This is the last significant shower
    for the year with peak rates of up to 120 / hr are possible. The peak will be around the 13 - 14 December

If you don't know where the Gemini constellation is at your location, use a star map program to find out ...
    eg Stellarium ... it free and its good !

A dark sky site and observing after midnite (your local time) will afford the best possible views

cheers
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks for the info- I think tomorrow (12/11) is going to be clear, not sure about further out.

Question for you (and others more experienced than I)- given that I will be using a 50mm lens (call it a 40 degree FOV), would it make more sense to aim directly at Gemini, or aim at (say) Orion?

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Geminids will appear to be radially dispersed around a point slightly southwest of the star Castor, so anywhere near that vicinity should be good. The idea is to avoid sources of light polution in your field of view, so for time lapse photography, a somewhat southerly direction [towards Orion] is a good choice at my location.

6. Dec 13, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

managed to drag myself out of bed a couple of times during the early hours of this morning ( Monday)
    Midnite - 1am -- 5 + another possible ( was faint) Geminids seen through thin to thick cloud coming and going plus the sly glow from city lights
    3am - 4 am -- 4 seen

I would have driven to my dark site to do photos if it wasn't for the cloud ... didn't make that a worthwhile thing to do

cheers
    Dave

7. Dec 14, 2015 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It was the opposite of clear skies here. OTOH, this time of year, given the choice of 30F and clear or 70F and cloudy, I choose the latter.

8. Dec 14, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wen out again this morning, drove to my dark site
    there from 00:50 am till 03:40 am
    here is a summary of observations ...
    Geminids activity
    I was battling lots of cloud :frown:

1 am - 2 am -- 12 meteors of the Geminids shower + 5 random ones
    2 am - 3 am -- 17 meteors of the Geminids shower +3 random ones...
    3 am - 3:4 am -- 9 meteors of the Geminids shower
    even with the cloud and the lower than expected meteor counts, I'm still pleased I made the effort .... a pic of the best one caught on camera
    As with these things, the meteors didn't always happen where the camera was pointing
    30sec exposures on a 14mm Samyang f2.8, ISO 1250. this is straight out of camera, cropped and resized for the forum
    haven't had a chance to do any lightroom cleaning up yet

IMGL4705sm.jpg

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook