Geminid Meteor Shower: Peak Rates Up to 120/hr Dec 13-14

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, the Geminid Meteor shower will have a peak rate of 120 / hr. It is best to observe the shower after midnight local time to get the best views.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

we are now heading into the Geminid Meteor shower. This is the last significant shower
for the year with peak rates of up to 120 / hr are possible. The peak will be around the 13 - 14 December

If you don't know where the Gemini constellation is at your location, use a star map program to find out ...
eg Stellarium ... it free and its good !

A dark sky site and observing after midnite (your local time) will afford the best possible views

cheers
Dave

Likes DrClaude
davenn said:
hi gang

we are now heading into the Geminid Meteor shower. This is the last significant shower
for the year with peak rates of up to 120 / hr are possible. The peak will be around the 13 - 14 December

If you don't know where the Gemini constellation is at your location, use a star map program to find out ...
eg Stellarium ... it free and its good !

A dark sky site and observing after midnite (your local time) will afford the best possible views

cheers
Dave

Thanks for the info- I think tomorrow (12/11) is going to be clear, not sure about further out.

Question for you (and others more experienced than I)- given that I will be using a 50mm lens (call it a 40 degree FOV), would it make more sense to aim directly at Gemini, or aim at (say) Orion?

The Geminids will appear to be radially dispersed around a point slightly southwest of the star Castor, so anywhere near that vicinity should be good. The idea is to avoid sources of light polution in your field of view, so for time lapse photography, a somewhat southerly direction [towards Orion] is a good choice at my location.

Likes davenn
managed to drag myself out of bed a couple of times during the early hours of this morning ( Monday)
Midnite - 1am -- 5 + another possible ( was faint) Geminids seen through thin to thick cloud coming and going plus the sly glow from city lights
3am - 4 am -- 4 seen

I would have driven to my dark site to do photos if it wasn't for the cloud ... didn't make that a worthwhile thing to docheers
Dave

It was the opposite of clear skies here. OTOH, this time of year, given the choice of 30F and clear or 70F and cloudy, I choose the latter.

wen out again this morning, drove to my dark site
there from 00:50 am till 03:40 am
here is a summary of observations ...
Geminids activity
I was battling lots of cloud :frown:

1 am - 2 am -- 12 meteors of the Geminids shower + 5 random ones
2 am - 3 am -- 17 meteors of the Geminids shower +3 random ones...
3 am - 3:4 am -- 9 meteors of the Geminids shower
even with the cloud and the lower than expected meteor counts, I'm still pleased I made the effort ... a pic of the best one caught on camera
As with these things, the meteors didn't always happen where the camera was pointing
30sec exposures on a 14mm Samyang f2.8, ISO 1250. this is straight out of camera, cropped and resized for the forum
haven't had a chance to do any lightroom cleaning up yet

IMGL4705sm.jpg
cheers
Dave

1. What is the Geminid Meteor Shower?

The Geminid Meteor Shower is an annual astronomical event where Earth passes through debris from the asteroid 3200 Phaethon, resulting in a display of shooting stars in the night sky.

2. When is the peak of the Geminid Meteor Shower?

The peak of the Geminid Meteor Shower typically occurs on the nights of December 13 and 14, with the highest rates of meteors appearing during the early morning hours.

3. How many meteors can be seen during the peak rates of the Geminid Meteor Shower?

The peak rates of the Geminid Meteor Shower can reach up to 120 meteors per hour, making it one of the most active meteor showers of the year.

4. What is the best way to view the Geminid Meteor Shower?

The best way to view the Geminid Meteor Shower is to find a dark and open area away from city lights. Look towards the constellation Gemini in the eastern sky during the peak nights for the best chance of spotting meteors.

5. How can I learn more about the Geminid Meteor Shower and other astronomical events?

You can learn more about the Geminid Meteor Shower and other astronomical events by visiting reputable websites such as NASA or the International Meteor Organization. You can also attend local events or join astronomy clubs to learn from experts and fellow enthusiasts.