Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity

In summary, after reading Schutz's "First Course in General Relativity," the recommended book to continue with is Wald's "General Relativity." Wald uses the abstract index notation and it is suggested to also read a book on differential geometry using the index free notation. Other recommended books for differential geometry include "The Geometry of Physics" by Theodore Frankel and "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics" by Peter Szekeres. It is also suggested to read Carroll's "An Introduction to General Relativity" before Wald. Additional resources for general relativity and differential geometry can be found in Wald's resource letter "Teaching General Relativity."
h0dgey84bc
Hi,

I have just read (well read most of :) ) Schutz First Course in Gen Rel, what would be a good book to go on from after this? I thought Schutz was pretty good on the intro to tensors and diff geo, since it approached the subject from the index free way, which I found more satisfying than the approach in D'Inverno that I initially started with, then abandoned.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wald is definitely the book to read. It may not be the best introductory text, but you have already read one of those. I recommend that you also buy or borrow a book that explains differential geometry using the index free notation. It really helps to learn to work with both. Wald uses the abstract index notation (which makes every tensor equation look like it's describing a relationship between the components of the tensors in a coordinate system, even though no coordinate system is involved). The abstract index notation is superior to the index free notation when it comes to constructing new tensors from existing ones, but it's just confusing in definitions of new concepts (in my opinion).

I really liked Schutz by the way, not for the stuff about general relativity, but for the stuff about special relativity and tensors.

Last edited:
I think Wald is what I'm ultimatley aspring too, seems a little scary right now though, it's like the Jackson of GR or something, hehe. Surprisingly cheap though, strangely.

I recommend that you also buy or borrow a book that explains differential geometry using the index free notation

I feel like a formal book dedicated to just differential geometry would be a lot of use to me now, I have Schutz's other math methods book, but I've not started on it at all yet...maybe that will be sufficient. I really feel like I need a formal course in differential geometry though, like one would perhaps find on an undergrad maths degree, any books that would provide this?

h0dgey84bc said:
I think Wald is what I'm ultimatley aspring too, seems a little scary right now though, it's like the Jackson of GR or something, hehe. Surprisingly cheap though, strangely.

An Introduction to General Relativity: Spacetime and Geometry (the real version, not the web version) by Sean Carroll is a little less scary than Wald. Wald has a very good summary of global methods, including singularity theorems, but is not very up-to-date with respect to cosmology.
h0dgey84bc said:
I feel like a formal book dedicated to just differential geometry would be a lot of use to me now, I have Schutz's other math methods book, but I've not started on it at all yet...maybe that will be sufficient. I really feel like I need a formal course in differential geometry though, like one would perhaps find on an undergrad maths degree, any books that would provide this?

Maybe Schutz's mathematical methods is not scary enough :biggrin:. I recommend The Geometry of Physics: An Introduction by Theodore Frankel or A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics by Peter Szekeres. Szekeres might not cover as much differential geometry as you want, but it covers material more carefully than Schutz, and it covers other stuff, like measure theory, distributions, and Hilbert spaces.

Hey I'm a math student and I've worked out of Carroll and then Wald. I would like to echo what George Jones said, Carroll into Wald has worked out very well for me. In all honesty, Wald is a step up, but it's not like Griffith's EM to Jackson in my opinion.

If you have the money, try getting both Carroll and Wald. In the beginning those two should suffice to get the "basics" of GR. However later on Wald sometimes gives sketches of arguments and sketches of proofs and refers to Hawking Ellis a lot (especially in the chapter on Singularity Theorems, he does this 3 or 4 times).

Wald's resource letter "Teaching General Relativity" contains some book recommendations (in the 6th paragraph) for General Relativity and Differential Geometry that might be of interest:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0511073

1. What is the main focus of "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity"?

The main focus of "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" is to provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical and conceptual foundations of general relativity, as well as its applications in modern physics.

2. Is "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" suitable for beginners in the field of general relativity?

No, "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" is not suitable for beginners. It is intended for readers with a solid background in mathematics and physics, particularly in the theory of relativity.

3. What makes "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" different from other books on the same topic?

"Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" is unique in its approach to explaining the subject matter. It focuses on the conceptual and mathematical foundations of general relativity, rather than just providing a list of equations and their applications.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity"?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics and physics is required. A background in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and special relativity is recommended.

5. How can "Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" benefit researchers and scientists in the field of general relativity?

"Schutz: Next Steps in General Relativity" can benefit researchers and scientists by providing a comprehensive and rigorous understanding of the foundations of general relativity. It also includes recent developments and applications, making it a valuable resource for those working in the field.