1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genarilsed ohm

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://iceimg.com/i/2a/b2/df5d993eb7.png

2. Relevant equations
    Sorry for the big picture...

3. The attempt at a solution
    Every time i see more then 1 generator i get in trouble... i don't understand here when to add and when to substruct voltages. Is there any difference between Uab and Uba...

For the first one i get R=29 which is wrong.
    -15V-I(2+R)+6=18

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, Uab = -Uba. Look at it as a KVL "walk" from one node to another. In one case you're "walking downhill", dropping overall in potential from +18V to 0V, and in the other case "walking uphill" from 0V to +18V.
    I think you'll find that the above resolves to R = -29 Ohms, which is clearly not a physically correct value for resistance (at least not at this course level :smile:).

Are you "walking uphill" or "walking downhill" overall in this problem?

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    So, the first one should be:
    18v-15v+6v=I(2+R)

second one:
    If i go from + to - will be a negative sign, but the current is going to the left, and i'm going to the right... so it will be 18V+30 or 18V-30V

signes are so confusing to me :(

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that looks fine.
    If you pencil in the signs of the voltage drops across the resistors according to the current direction first, it should make it easier to assemble your terms when you do your "KVL walk" along the path. The signs of the drops will respect the current's effect according to Ohm's law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook