Gender-neutral personal names?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: Actually in English ALL names are gender neutral, since our language does not specify gender in the name. Gender association is a learned thing in English, what is now a purely male name could become a female name, given a shift in a couple of generations or a region or...
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Due to a misunderstanding on my part in another thread, I began to wonder:
What first names do you know of that are gender-neutral?

Here in Norway, just about the only two I know that can be used for either sex is Chris and Kim. (In Norwegian that is, but I think those two are gender neutral in English-speaking countries as well).

What others are there in your language?
(I believe Leslie/Lesley is male/female, but I'm not sure..)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few examples in my language, for example, "Matija" or "Vanja". They are not unfrequent names, and are almost equally distributed through both genders.

There are a few websites for gender neutral names but this one caught my eye because it compares frequency between genders.

http://www.bnbg.net/gender-neutral.html

I believe that the names of Frank Zappa's children are interchangeable...

alex and chris

Seven (10 Char)

kelly? leslie? ok, those aren't totally 'neutral' but I know guys with those names.

Terry is definitely a gender neutral name, but for guys it is spelled "terry", whereas for girls it is spelled "Teri".

I can think of lots of name in our language that's used for both sexes like my own name! Of course it rarely happens that a name is equally used for either sexes.
1 of my classmates had the same name and it was really funny when some of forgetful professors always called me Mr X and called him Mrs Y.:rolleyes: Of course it rarely happens that a name is equally used for either sexes.

As a side note in our language we use the same pronoun for both sexes!

Lisa! said:

Do you mean that there's no 'he' or 'she'? What about 'his' and 'hers'? How do you buy towels?

Lisa! said:

Thus, post-modernively, it is proven that genders don't exist in Lisa!'s home-country. :smile:

mattmns said:
Seven (10 Char)
Not "Mickey"?

Every once in a while you will come across a guy named Ashley or Lindsey, seems like they are both girl names to me but it happens. It is fairly common for girls to be named Erin, and guys Aaron, different spelling same pronounciation.

Pat
http://www.mikeylikey.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/pat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Thus, post-modernively, it is proven that genders don't exist in Lisa!'s home-country. :smile:

That would be home planet. :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
That would be home planet. :rofl:

Quite so. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Pat
http://www.mikeylikey.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/pat.jpg
[/URL]

I always assumed pat was a wuss of a man. It just seemed to make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always assumed pat was a wuss of a man. It just seemed to make sense.

But of course the actress playing Pat was female, although I agree that the evidence slightly tilts to wuss male.

Other english neutral names are Alex (Alexander/Alexandra), ronnie/roni (Ronald/Veronica), and Drew/Dru.

Last edited:
Seems like you can also substitute Y for I to turn something into a girl's name, but doing it makes you a jerk of a parent. How does your daughter's boyfriend feel when he tells his parents he's dating somebody named Toni? Probably the same way you would feel when your daughter is dating somebody named Sasa (pronounced "Sasha").

I once knew a girl named Lindsey who was dating a guy named Lindsey

scorpa said:
I once knew a girl named Lindsey who was dating a guy named Lindsey

sheer insanity.

They should name all of their kids Lindsey just for the fun of it all :biggrin:

When naming a child, at least in North America, it's worth keeping in mind that a gender-neutral name will likely be predominantly feminine by the time the child is in high school. Why is the drift only in one direction?

BillJx said:
When naming a child, at least in North America, it's worth keeping in mind that a gender-neutral name will likely be predominantly feminine by the time the child is in high school. Why is the drift only in one direction?

Probably the same reason women can wear pants but men cannot wear dresses. Don't know what it is, but it's probably the same :wink:

Ashley, Jorden, Lee, Sam, Ty, Taylor, Robyn, Jem, Arnie, chris, dani, kim, Jackie, Jo, Kieran, Morgan, Nic, Pat, Phil, Stacy... these are just a few there are heaps of "gender neutral" names and they are becoming more and more popular

Don't forget Dale Evans and a Boy named Sue! (Ok, so my age is showing, do a web search)

Does a famous counter example make a name gender neutral?

Actually in English ALL names are gender neutral, since our language does not specify gender in the name. Gender association is a learned thing in English, what is now a purely male name could become a female name, given a shift in a couple of generations or a region or 2.

That's not really relevant, integral.

At any particular time, the set of personal names will be subdivided according to gender in some form.

That this partitioning might be time-dependent doesn't make it less "real".

1. What are gender-neutral personal names?

Gender-neutral personal names are names that are not explicitly associated with a specific gender. They can be used for people of any gender identity or expression.

2. Why are gender-neutral personal names important?

Gender-neutral personal names are important because they allow individuals to express their gender identity or expression without being confined to traditional gender norms. They also promote inclusivity and respect for all gender identities.

3. Can anyone have a gender-neutral personal name?

Yes, anyone can have a gender-neutral personal name. It is a personal choice and can be used by individuals of any gender identity or expression.

4. Are there cultural or societal implications of using gender-neutral personal names?

Yes, there can be cultural or societal implications of using gender-neutral personal names. In some cultures and societies, there may be traditional gender norms that are closely tied to personal names. However, it is important to recognize and respect individuals who choose to use gender-neutral personal names and not impose societal expectations on them.

5. How can I support individuals with gender-neutral personal names?

You can support individuals with gender-neutral personal names by using their preferred name and pronouns, regardless of societal expectations or assumptions. It is also important to educate others and promote inclusivity and respect for all gender identities and expressions.