Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gender Specific Fears

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I have the TV babbling in the background as I peruse PF and my ear is caught by a guy on an infomercial who makes the following claim: a man's greatest fear (when undertaking a project) is fear of failure, and a woman's greatest fear is fear of criticism.

His success plan will teach you how to overcome these fears and end up a billionaire, but in the meantime I'm wondering if these thumbnail allegations of a difference between essential fears according to gender hold water.

If you're a guy is the prospect of failure worse than the prospect of being criticized? If you're a woman, is the prospect of being criticized worse than the prospect of failure?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2
    It's a sweeping generalisation, but I think that on average a man will be more goal driven (hence the fear of failure), while a woman will be looking for acceptance and confirmation from her peers instead (hence fear of criticism).

Again, this are just broad trends I've observerd. Your mileage may vary.

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to figure out how the two aren't interrelated from the start? Don't failure and criticism pretty much go hand in hand? If you're getting criticized, it's generally because you've done something wrong, not because you were a great success. And, if you fail, isn't someone going to come along and criticize you for it?

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Typical American sentiment. We are not that nice over here in Norway ! :smile:

(After all, a person with success probably has some personal flaws he wants to hide beneath his veneer of success (that's why he has worked so hard to attain it); our job is to uncover those flaws).

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I suppose that being flawless myself, I never considered someone might be worried about criticism for flaws they are hiding. :biggrin: o:)

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    I love to sit down in front of the TV late at night at learn about the psychology of gender inequalities from an expert infomercial actor.

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A main flaw with many people is their lack of insight in themselves. They go blithely about believing themselves to be flawless, but we Norwegians know better. :smile:

9. Oct 1, 2006 #8
    So, Moonbear, your answer to the question "Is the prospect of being criticized worse than the prospect of failure?" is...?

Arildno and Rach, your answers to the question "Is the prospect of failure worse than the prospect of being criticized?" is...?

10. Oct 1, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fear of criticism? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I may not put up with it but I certainly don't fear it. :biggrin:

Easily, fear of failure dominates when it means getting sued or destroying equipment. When it comes to less critical situations, again, fear of failure because I hate having to do something twice. So I see this as more a practical matter... though I doubt that "fear" is the correct word.

And my two cents worth as it pertains to the premise of this thread: The biggest reason that people never take a risk is not fear, it is laziness.

11. Oct 1, 2006 #10

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fear of criticism?
    Don't think you would do any posting if you had that :smile:

12. Oct 1, 2006 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm a man, and I have a constructively mild fear both.

13. Oct 1, 2006 #12
    OK. Assuming NoTime is a guy (the odds favor that assumption at PF) then we have three guys pretty much agreeing failure is a worse prospect than criticism.

14. Oct 1, 2006 #13
    The only fear I have as a man, that I know a woman does not share is having my genitals cut off/skewered/burned (including chemical burns)/hit and basically impacted in anyway with high impulse.

15. Oct 1, 2006 #14
    Thanks for sharing!!!!

16. Oct 1, 2006 #15

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, your assumption is correct :smile:

Failure? I call that experience :biggrin:
    I just try to avoid being repetitive o:)

17. Oct 1, 2006 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I think for most people, both fears are actually pretty mild. I think there's actually clinical names for people who make too much of a fuss about their fears.

18. Oct 1, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the criticism isn't because you've failed, then sure. I'd rather take "friendly fire" to prevent failure than to screw up because I was too arrogant to listen to criticism from someone who was just trying to help.

I can't quite see how fear of failure is a bad thing though. Afterall, generally it is something one should try to avoid, and if you just run into everything head first without thinking about what you're about to do first because you don't care if you fail, then you're bound to fail a lot more than someone who stops to think first.

19. Oct 1, 2006 #18

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, you do what you can to avoid failure.
    But, when you're going for something that hasn't been done before, then I would say it's inevitable.
    Testing in a controled environment is key to minimizing the impact.
    Even then the real world, seems to have a knack for coughing up a hairball or two.

Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive.

20. Oct 1, 2006 #19
    I think the kind of criticism implied here is along the lines of "Oh, right! You're going to go into business for yourself! Good luck, sistah!"

The fear of failure under discussion is the crippling kind that makes a person give up before they start: "It's never going to succeed so why bother?"

21. Oct 1, 2006 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm one of those that believes you can do anything you put your mind to. The major obstruction of production for me is lethargy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?