1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gene cloning problem

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Molecular cloning experiments are carried out to generate multiple copies of a gene of interest. In one such experiment carried out at a student lab, the gene coding for insulin is multiplied in a bacterial cell. In the screening step, the students realized that they have committed a mistake and they observe many transformed and non-transformed bacterial colonies. Explain this situation with appropriate reasoning.
    2. Relevant equations
    NA

3. The attempt at a solution
    After the restriction enzymes are used, is it that some plastid is not able to recombine with particular gene and the same plastid combine?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

There are a number of explanations I can think of, but yours seems reasonable. I would not use the word "recombine," however, as it has a specific definition in biology. Rather, the correct term for cloning would be ligation. It is worth considering which step in the cloning procedure usually prevents recircularization of the plasmid during the ligation step.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    But what mistakes the student have done? It will happen naturally always that some will transform and some not.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

What step in the cloning procedure normally prevents recircularization of the plasmid during the ligation step? That is the step that was likely omitted if your hypothesis is true.

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5
    I don't know that step. I searched ligation in wikipedia but was not able to get the step.

7. Nov 10, 2015 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted