Gene Mixing and Cloning: The Role of Meiotic Cells in Reproduction

In summary: The growth is starting (at least what biologists say)...because cloning is throwing, anyway, the code of the oocyte, because you put a complete one inside...so i dont' see the fact why the artificial mixing (you seem quite in possession of the mean to explain me this)...for example a spermatozoid is giving half the code to complete the oocyte code..or half...
kleinwolf
Do you think if the meiotic cell code is taken instead of mitotic or somatic cells: for example two eggs code...and then remixed...then the sexual function is taken into account into that cloning process...but then how to recompose the genes...this could explain why a mix_clone of a man could give a woman or other type of people ??

Biology news on Phys.org
kleinwolf said:
Do you think if the meiotic cell code is taken instead of mitotic or somatic cells: for example two eggs code...and then remixed...then the sexual function is taken into account into that cloning process...but then how to recompose the genes...this could explain why a mix_clone of a man could give a woman or other type of people ??

What is a meiotic cell code??

kleinwolf said:

Isaac Asimov wrote a song, which used to be sung at cons, that started

"Clone, clone of my own
With its X-chromosome changed into Y..."
(sung to the tune of the chorus from Home on the Range).

That describes how you would get a female out of a male clone. Perhaps by duplicating the male's existing Y-chromosome.

selfAdjoint said:
That describes how you would get a female out of a male clone. Perhaps by duplicating the male's existing Y-chromosome.
Males are XY, females XX.

Kleinwolf: cloning is cloning because you take an adult somatic cell, otherwise it would be in vitro fertilization (when taking a sperm and oocyte). I'm not sure whether the sexual function would be included when transferring the nucleii of gametes, if you use two oocytes the sperm component will be missing and when just taking the nucleii you are missing the crucial event of sperm entry into the oocyte.

Kleinwolf: cloning is cloning because you take an adult somatic cell, otherwise it would be in vitro fertilization (when taking a sperm and oocyte)

No, if you take to RNA codes of the same person : for example two oocytes of the same woman, and find a way to recombine them...then obvisouly there is no male needed in the process, so it's nearer to cloning.
You see : when you use somatic cell, the meiosis is missing. But you don't need sperm, just two eggs, or two spermatozoids...
Do you understand ?

What I mean is that when you take two oocytes, you have two RNA codes (half of the whole DNA nuclear code). So you can simulate the gene mixing, but without spermatozoid or anything. The sperm entry is replaced by the, up to know, at my knowledge, not achieved, in vitro RNA recombination of RNA codes from the same body...

We could call this "in vitro auto-fertilization" or "in vitro auto-recombination"...indeed two eggs have two different gene sets, because there is the crossing over process. (one RNA code can get the recessive genes present in the woman...the other half is lost during the meisosis , for example).

In fact I meant "sexual function" in the sense : changing/mixing the genes, or the DNA codes...indeed because the genes are given as pairs, then crossing over can change the phenotype...

Last edited:
1. RNA is the transcription product of DNA, it is the code that is translated into protein. Humans are diploid (two copies of each chromosomes) half the DNA would be called haploid.

2. When you mix the genetic code of two oocytes from the same individual, you indeed have a mix that is easier to clone. You clone a somatic cell by passing it through an oocyte several times, since there are some unknown components in there that are required for resetting the cell.

3. You are still missing the male component, think about the correct imprinting of genes and the events that happen after the entry of the sperm. It is not so obvious that no sperm is needed, sperms and oocytes are biochemically different and have each their contribution. When you combine the DNA of two oocytes, the cell won't automatically start to grow into an embryo.

When you combine the DNA of two oocytes, the cell won't automatically start to grow into an embryo.

ok, so what is the fact that if u put "somatic dna" ((which is unisexual for remembrance) without mixing the two oocytes codes (let say we could do this in the lab)...the growth is starting (at least what biologists say)...because cloning is throwing, anyway, the code of the oocyte, because you put a complete one inside...so i dont' see the fact why the artificial mixing (you seem quite in possession of the mean to explain me this)...for example a spermatozoid is giving half the code to complete the oocyte code..or half of the code was in fact coming from another egg...what is the ID..since if you put a complete code..the egg know there is a male and female component ?? if you give half the code from a egg into another egg from which you threw away the original code and replaced it with a sperm code instead...for example..so what is the process for starting the growth in those conditions for example ?

Last edited:
Could you say that again, but now so that I can understand what you're saying?

3. You are still missing the male component, think about the correct imprinting of genes and the events that happen after the entry of the sperm. It is not so obvious that no sperm is needed, sperms and oocytes are biochemically different and have each their contribution. When you combine the DNA of two oocytes, the cell won't automatically start to grow into an embryo.
So if sperm is needed, cloning is impossible...QED ? (why fooling around with cloning anyhow)...
I thought there were some modes : simplified as :

1) spermatozoid(1/2DNA)+oocyte(1/2DNA) (in bed or in vitro ?)

2) oocyte(1/2DNA)-->oocyte(0DNA)+somatic(1DNA) (cloning)

3) oocyte(1/2DNA)--->oocyte(0DNA)+2*gametes(1/2DNA) (??)

4)..?? other ideas (chromosomial mixing...aso ??)

gametes is in the set {speramtozoid,oocyte}

But these are esoterical stuff that is just for "media whirling" ?

1. What is gene mixing and cloning?

Gene mixing and cloning is the process of combining genetic material from two or more different sources to create a new organism with desired traits. This can be achieved through various techniques, including meiotic cell division.

2. How do meiotic cells play a role in reproduction?

Meiotic cells, also known as germ cells, are responsible for producing gametes (sperm and eggs) in sexually reproducing organisms. During meiosis, these cells undergo two rounds of division, resulting in four daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell. This allows for genetic diversity in offspring.

3. What are the benefits of gene mixing and cloning?

The benefits of gene mixing and cloning include the ability to create organisms with desired traits, such as disease resistance or increased productivity. It can also be used in medical research to study and potentially cure genetic diseases.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding gene mixing and cloning?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding gene mixing and cloning, as it raises questions about playing God and interfering with the natural process of reproduction. There are also concerns about the potential for unintended consequences and the exploitation of the technology for unethical purposes.

5. What is the future of gene mixing and cloning?

The future of gene mixing and cloning is constantly evolving as technology advances. It has the potential to greatly impact various industries, such as agriculture and medicine. However, ethical and safety considerations will need to be carefully addressed as the technology continues to develop.