Who Was the Hilarious Actor Behind These Unforgettable Characters?

In summary, Gene Wilder (1933-2016) was a beloved comic actor known for his impeccable timing and hilarious performances. He starred in iconic films such as "Start The Revolution Without Me," "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother," "Young Frankenstein," and "Blazing Saddles." Wilder's co-star in "Young Frankenstein," Peter Ostrum, shared touching memories of him, describing him as a gentle and respectful man. Wilder kept his illness a secret to protect children who knew him as Willy Wonka. He will be greatly missed by fans and colleagues alike.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Gene Wilder (1933 – 2016)
He was one of my favorite comic actors because of his timing, performances and the number of quite unusual and hilarious characters he played. He gave me many, many good laughs in movies, particularly Start The Revolution Without Me, The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles;

From "Start The Revolution Without Me":

From "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother":

From "Young Frankenstein":

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto, Drakkith and EnumaElish
Physics news on Phys.org
Great actor from around my parts. He will be missed!

Likes EnumaElish and DennisN
I always confused Gene Wilder with Eric Idle (of Monty Python) for some reason. He was a great entertainer.

Likes S.G. Janssens and EnumaElish
I confuse him with Marty Feldman. They were co-stars in Young Frankestein. Yes, really.

Peter Ostrum, who played Charlie Bucket in the Willy Wonka movie, had some touching comments about Wilder.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gene-wilder-willy-wonka-peter-ostrum-1201847688/
“It’s kind of like losing a parent,” said Ostrum. “You know it’s going to happen, but it’s still a shock. He was not in good health at the end and it was not unexpected by any means, but when it happens it hits you like, ‘Gene is gone and there will never be anyone like him again.'”

“He was a gentle man, but he was also a gentleman,” he added. “He treated people with respect and dignity.”

“They would break for lunch and Gene and I would always buy a chocolate bar and share it on the way back to the set,” remembered Ostrum.

Wilder kept his illness a secret so as not to cause concern among children who would identify him as Willy Wonka.

What a wonderful human being.

Not interested, actors and actresses weren't attractive at all.

1. Who was Gene Wilder and what was his profession?

Gene Wilder was an American actor, screenwriter, and author. He was best known for his roles in classic comedies such as "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and "Blazing Saddles".

2. When was Gene Wilder born?

Gene Wilder was born on June 11, 1933 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

3. What were some of Gene Wilder's most famous roles?

Some of Gene Wilder's most famous roles include Willy Wonka in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", Leo Bloom in "The Producers", and Jim in "Blazing Saddles".

4. When did Gene Wilder pass away?

Gene Wilder passed away on August 29, 2016 at the age of 83.

5. What was Gene Wilder's legacy in the entertainment industry?

Gene Wilder's legacy in the entertainment industry includes his iconic comedic performances, his collaborations with Mel Brooks, and his influence on future generations of actors and comedians.

Back