General Anesthesia: Exploring Pharmacological & Biological Effects

• Thread starter Deslaar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: DeathIn summary, general anesthesia is a state in which the brain is turned off and consciousness is reduced. It is not clear to what extent brain function is reduced under general anesthesia. It is unknown if general anesthesia is equivalent to death. There are different levels of anesthesia, with the deepest level being the most brain-blocking. General anesthesia may also be accompanied by respiration problems.
Deslaar
I have a few questions. :smile:

Could someone explain to me the pharmacological and biological mechanisms involved in general anesthesia?

It would appear that under general anesthesia consciousness is completely "turned off". To what extent is brain function reduced. Do general anesthetics target particular areas of the brain?

Thanks in advance.

BTW and on a philosophical note, is being under a general anesthetic indistinguishable from and, in a temporal sense, equivalent to death?

Biology news on Phys.org
so what i gleamed from various sources it that it is not an extemly well understood thing. at least not at the cellular level.

I read of some theory that it affects the proteins in neurons and that is what changes your level of consciousness.

under anesthesia, individual protein molecules in the brain somehow become larger than normal and that shrinking them rouses a person awake again.

general dead

It's been a decade since my neurology class but I have been hit on the head with a 2x4 since then.

I'm waiting for an someone in that field to reply but I suspect that under gen. A that some of the brain is still workin like some of the brain sending the vagus nerve impluses to keep the heart beating.
Other involuntary body functions probably function too, although maybe a respirator is needed for the lungs, I don't know.
Therefore I don't think general anest. is much like being dead.

Maybe the nerve connections that deliver pain, temperature, etc are interrupted.

gilnv of www.surrealcity.com

Thanks for the replies but I think you'll agree that my questions haven't really been answered. Anyone else? Please...I'm intrigued.

i have no idea really, but I do know that ppll are researching snake venoms in the hope of finding more effective anaesthetics. perhaps searching for explanations on how venoms work will help explain how anaesthetics work.

There are different levels of anaesthesia -- at the deepest, most brain function is blocked, to the extent that respiration must be artificially maintained; at the lightest, a patient might be conscious enough to talk back to doctors, though long-term memory is typically one of the first things to go.

Not sure how they work, or even if they all work in the same way -- IIRC traditional anaesthetics like ether work quite differently from some of the new stuff, like benzodiazepine-opioid anaesthesia.

Hear is what I have read

but don't quote me on this. GA's are usually simple oil soluble molecules like ether or cyclopropane and they work by by being absorbed into the mylin sheath of the nerve cells which generate impulses by transfering ions. The GA make the sheath permeable to ions, reducing the nerve cell function.

1. What is general anesthesia?

General anesthesia is a medical state induced in a patient to eliminate pain and sensation during a medical procedure. It involves the use of a combination of drugs that temporarily render the patient unconscious and unaware of what is happening around them.

2. How does general anesthesia work?

General anesthesia works by interrupting the communication between the brain and the body. The drugs used in general anesthesia act on the central nervous system, specifically the brain, to produce a state of unconsciousness and analgesia. This prevents the brain from receiving and processing pain signals from the body, allowing for a pain-free surgery or procedure.

3. What are the common side effects of general anesthesia?

The most common side effects of general anesthesia include nausea and vomiting, sore throat, dizziness, and confusion. Some patients may also experience shivering, muscle aches, and difficulty urinating after waking up from anesthesia. These side effects are usually temporary and can be managed with medications.

4. How long does the effect of general anesthesia last?

The duration of general anesthesia can vary depending on the type and dosage of drugs used, as well as the individual's response. Generally, the effects of general anesthesia last for a few hours, and patients may feel groggy or tired for the rest of the day. However, the drugs can remain in the body for up to 24 hours, so patients should take precautions during this time, such as avoiding driving or operating machinery.

5. Are there any risks associated with general anesthesia?

While general anesthesia is generally safe, there are some risks involved. These may include allergic reactions to the drugs used, respiratory complications, and postoperative delirium in elderly patients. It is essential to discuss any concerns with your doctor before undergoing general anesthesia, and to follow pre and post-operative instructions carefully to reduce the risk of complications.