What is the general antiderivative of this complicated function?

In summary, the student is trying to find the general antiderivative of f'(x), which is given as f(x) - f'(x) = 1-2x-4/\sqrt{x}+5/x-8/(1+x^2)+9/x^4. The student is having trouble with derivatives and needs help finding the anti-derivative. The student should read the section on anti-derivatives and add a +C term to the end of the derivative to account for the constant value.
frumdogg

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. My Calc 1 final exam is tomorrow and due to some weather related issues we were not able to cover all material for this quarter. With that said, my professor gave us a take home quiz on material that was unable to be covered. I have done by best, but I am getting hung up on an antiderivative problem.

Find the general antiderivative of:

f'(x) = 1-2x-4/[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+5/x-8/(1+x^2)+9/x^4

Homework Equations

Now due to having virtually no time to learn about antiderivatives (we lost a whole week due to a blizzard and instructor illness) I am really unsure where to go. Do I need to rewrite the problem on one line and then find the opposite of the derivative?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well yes, what function, if you differentiate it, will give that expression as its derivative?

So basically the definition of an antiderivative is the oppositive of the derivative?

Wait, I did not just type that last sentence. =)

Do you mean:

[tex]f'(x) = 1-2x-4\sqrt{x}+\frac{5}{x}-\frac{8}{1+x^2}+\frac{9}{x^4}[/tex] ?

Basically when you're asked to find the anti-derivative you're trying to find the function f(x), which has this derivative f'(x), which is given.

Last edited:
1- 2x -4[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{5}{x}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{8}{1+x^{2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{9}{x^{4}}[/tex]

yes!

But you often write it given f(x), find its primitive function F(x): F' = f

That is sort of how I figured that it would work. My derivative skills are giving me the most trouble at this point.

Do you have a textbook? First, read the section on anti-derivatives.

Hint: separate each quantity
f '(x) = 1, then f(x) = x + C.
f '(x) = 2x, then f(x) = ?
f '(x) = 9x^-4, then f(x) = ?
and so on.

f '(x) = 2x, then f(x) = x^2
f '(x) = 9x^-4, then f(x) = 9x^-3/-3
correct?

The general antiderivative will have a + C at the end.

frumdogg said:
f '(x) = 2x, then f(x) = x^2
f '(x) = 9x^-4, then f(x) = 9x^-3/-3
correct?

So far, so good

But Snazzy is right you need to add a +C (constant of integration) term to the anti derivative, because if f(x) had a constant value some where in it, like f(x) = 2x+5, f'(x) = 2 -- so when we integrate f'(x) we need to account for the 5. We don't necessairly know it's a 5 so that's why we add the +C

Last edited:
It's so easy to forget the C at the end.

1. What is a general antiderivative?

A general antiderivative is the opposite operation of a derivative and is also known as an indefinite integral. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function as its result.

2. How is a general antiderivative different from a definite integral?

A general antiderivative does not have upper and lower bounds and represents a family of functions, while a definite integral has specific limits and gives a single numerical value as its result.

3. What is the notation used for a general antiderivative?

The notation used for a general antiderivative is f(x)dx. This indicates that the function f(x) is being integrated with respect to the variable x.

4. What is the process for finding a general antiderivative?

The process for finding a general antiderivative involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The result is a function with a constant of integration that represents the entire family of antiderivatives.

5. What is the relationship between a function and its antiderivative?

The relationship between a function and its antiderivative is that the derivative of the antiderivative is equal to the original function. In other words, the antiderivative "undoes" the process of differentiation.