Associativity Proof for Binary Operations

In summary, the two statements above are proved, and the inductive hypothesis applies to any bracketing of a1*a2*...an-1 in the statement.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I'm inspecting a proof which can be found here: http://unafold.math.rpi.edu/Teaching/MATH-2800/Binary_Ops.pdf

My question regards the line: (a1...ak-1)*(ak...an) = (a1...ak-1)*((ak...an-1)*an) on the second page of the document.

Is this true (that is, the ability to group terms k through n on the RHS of the equality, as written) because "any bracketing of a1*a2*...an-1 equals the standard form..."? In other words, I am asking if the inductive hypothesis applies to any qualifying number of summands, regardless of whether they are the same terms as those explicitly expressed in the hypothesis.

Also, wouldn't this necessarily imply that 1 < k in the second inequality involving k? This may at first seem trivial, but I suppose you'd need fewer than n elements in the right-hand paranthetical expression for this step to hold, which it obviously wouldn't if k = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Syrus said:

Homework Statement

I'm inspecting a proof which can be found here: http://unafold.math.rpi.edu/Teaching/MATH-2800/Binary_Ops.pdf

My question regards the line: (a1...ak-1)*(ak...an) = (a1...ak-1)*((ak...an-1)*an) on the second page of the document.

Is this true (that is, the ability to group terms k through n on the RHS of the equality, as written) because "any bracketing of a1*a2*...an-1 equals the standard form..."? In other words, I am asking if the inductive hypothesis applies to any qualifying number of summands, regardless of whether they are the same terms as those explicitly expressed in the hypothesis.

Also, wouldn't this necessarily imply that 1 < k in the second inequality involving k? This may at first seem trivial, but I suppose you'd need fewer than n elements in the right-hand paranthetical expression for this step to hold, which it obviously wouldn't if k = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For each positive integer n, let P(n) be the statement "every product with n factors or less, is equal to its standard form". We want to prove P(n) for all positive integers n. Our strategy is to prove the following two statements:

1. P(3).
2. For all positive integers n such that n≥4, if P(n-1) then P(n).

What you're asking about is part of step 2, so we have assumed that P(n-1) holds, and we're working with an arbitrary product of n factors. The step you're asking about changes the bracketing of the product ##a_k\cdots a_n##, which has n-k+1 factors. So it's allowed by assumption, if ##n-k+1\leq n-1##. This inequality is equivalent to ##k\geq 2##. This is true unless all the left brackets are to the left of ##a_1##.

Precisely what I thought, thank you.

1. What is general associativity proof?

General associativity proof is a mathematical concept used to show that a given operation is associative, meaning that the order in which the operation is performed does not affect the result. This is commonly used in algebra and other branches of mathematics.

2. Why is general associativity proof important?

General associativity proof is important because it allows us to confidently use an operation without having to worry about the order in which it is performed. This is especially useful in complex calculations and equations, where associativity can simplify the process.

3. How is general associativity proof conducted?

General associativity proof is typically conducted using mathematical induction, which involves proving that the operation is associative for a base case and then showing that it holds true for all other cases. This is done using logical reasoning and mathematical equations.

4. What are some examples of operations that can be proven to be associative?

Some common examples of operations that can be proven to be associative include addition and multiplication in algebra, and composition of functions in calculus. These are operations that are used frequently in mathematics and have been proven to be associative through general associativity proof.

5. Can any operation be proven to be associative?

No, not all operations can be proven to be associative. In order for an operation to be associative, it must meet certain criteria, such as having a defined identity element and being closed under the operation. If these criteria are not met, then the operation cannot be proven to be associative.