Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Car Discussion

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should be noted MotoH started this thread. Posts were merged from other threads which inadvertantly put one of mine on top.
    Heck, front-wheel drive ruined much of it for me. What fun is driving without the occasional power slide? I was as comfortable driving a car sideways as forward, under power.

Back when I was driving our '82 Celica, I would enter our gravel road on a 60 mph power slide almost every day. I was my secret little cheap thrill that made the day fun. I hope [my wife] Tsu doesn't see this. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Toyota recall

When I was just out of college, a friend of mine had an MGA, and I loved to help him tweak it performance-wise. We'd head across the river to a town on the back side of the lake and run the gravel roads with a vengeance. He'd let me drive much of the time, probably to experience the white-knuckle rush as a passenger when a really "loose" car is being put through its paces.

Years later, after I got married, and my wife wanted to learn how to drive, we bought her a Civic, and I learned how hairy under-steer can be on gravel roads. That was one tough little car! It was used when we bought it, we loaned it to a friend for a year so she could finish college (80 miles per day, at least), and eventually sold it to another friend, who used it to get into his father's fishing camp on pretty crappy roads. He put over-sized tires on it, with snow-treads and would run through mud and muck. It probably shouldn't have been road-legal that way, but it worked.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I love my 2009 Subaru Forester. It doesn't get 50 mpg, but it's wonderful in ice and snow with AWD, traction control, and anti-lock brakes. It can hold a lot of people and a lot of cargo, too. It sure doesn't hurt to get ~27 mpg in an SUV when the other features (traction, road-worthiness in bad weather) are factored in. If my wife and I lived in Florida or Arizona, we'd probably be running Hondas or Toyotas, but in Maine, Subarus rule.

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was a kid I had a Datsun pu that took a lot of punishment, including jumps. It was a tough little truck and performed well for a small truck, but it didn't take long to notice that the Toyota trucks were much nicer, which is when I first took note of Toyota. Hondas have always been tough as well.

Funny and true: I left a buddy in a Z-28 in the dust, on a curvy road, in my Datsun pu. I could dig my wheels into the rut of the shoulder on curves, which allowed me to take curves much faster than one would expect. He just had too much weight to throw around. That one scored me some real brownie points with the car freaks. :biggrin:

Within the context of this thread, I once survived a loss of breaks coming down a mountain road that way. I had bounced the battery right out of its bracket, which then shorted out on the brake line. I discovered this as I started to brake for a 25 mph curve. Had I not been able to catch the rut, we would have gone over a cliff.

6. Feb 5, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I've got to give props to Datsun/Nissan. I bought Datsun's 4x4 PU in the first production year, bought a Nissan Pathfinder in the first year of production, and bought a 240SX in its first model year. I would never have tried that with any US brands. I have too many friends and relatives who are mechanics, and know too many horror stories.

7. Feb 5, 2010 #6
    Well it seems that at least a couple people enjoy talking about cars, so I figured why not start a thread about it.
    Post whatever is car related and is awesome. Day to day experiences, stories, photos, videos, whatever!

I'll start it off with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AclNaYw-gkw

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Feb 5, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I loooooooved my 240Z - many stories to tell; all bad.

9. Feb 5, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

My cousin (lead engineer for Lockheed Martin during the last Hubble servicing mission) still has a love affair going with the Z-cars. 240Z was the first car that he bought after college, and he's still got a Jones for them. Later Z-cars got too computerized for their own good. My brother-in-law was lead mechanic for the local Nissan dealership, and he told me about one time when a 300Z got whacked on the passenger-side rear quarter-panel, and they were fighting with the owner's insurance company about whether or not to total the vehicle. Ack! Apparently, there were computers/controllers in that quadrant that would all have to be replaced, and though the damage all seemed repairable in the normal scheme of things, the insurance company wanted to bail out when faced with the cost of replacing those modules on top of structural/body repairs.

10. Feb 5, 2010 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Driving Experiences - the good, the bad, and the ugly

The Toyota thread got me reminiscing about driving; in my case, driving like a maniac. I have made no secret of the fact that I was a somewhat logical, but incredibly irresponsible speed demon [hmmm., maybe I should say responsible but stupid?]. What I mean by that is that I did stupid things but usually under relatively controlled circumstances. I always tried to be sure that if things didn't go well, the only people to die would be me and whoever was stupid enough to trust me and ride along while doing this stuff.

But the one that comes to mind at the moment was not intentional. I had been working ~36 hours straight while trying to finish one job, so that I could catch a plane to Peru for another. I was driving home, late at night, and was exhausted beyond belief. I had exited the freeway and had to drive though an area called Troutdale, on 35-40 mph Blvds. The roads were empty and the drive uneventful as far as I knew. As I left the Troutdale area, I saw red lights come on behind me. At that point the speed limit was 55 mph. I looked at my speedometer and saw that I was doing about 80 mph. Uh oh!

Fully expecting a ticket, I apologized and explained that I was dead tired and simply didn't realize how fast I was going. I told him how many hours I had been working, what I was doing, and explained that I had to get up in about 5 hours to catch a plane. He told me that he had been behind me ever since I had gotten off the freeway; that I was doing 80 mph all the way through Troutdale; to go home and get some sleep. He followed me home.

Honestly, I had no clue that I had done that.

11. Feb 5, 2010 #10
    Re: Driving Experiences - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I recently heard about a person who lost his son because of similar incident. His son pulled an all nighter for the last exam and was driving home without taking any rest.

12. Feb 5, 2010 #11

what General Car Discussion isn't good enough? :frown:

13. Feb 5, 2010 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I used to own a 77 Firebird. It had 60 series tires in the front and 50 series in the back which allowed me to have awesome traction around turns. I once drove 70 MPH on a 25 MPH entrance ramp. I could feel the back end trying to slide out from under me when I did that.

One day a friend of mine let me try out his 79 Trans Am which had stock tires. As I was putting it through its paces, I didn't take into account the difference in tires and spun it 180 degrees when I turned on to a sidestreet. No damage but, I gave us both a pretty good scare. And no, I don't drive like that anymore. My maniac days are (thankfully) over.

14. Feb 5, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I was given a ride home by a Trooper one night. I think he had been tipped by the owner of the bar. The trooper came into the bar and started quizzing me, and we went outside together. I got into the back sear of the cruiser and he took me home (over 50 miles away). He didn't embarrass me too badly at home, but I had some "splainin" to do about why I had to leave and hitch-hike to get my parents' car back. BTW, the trooper was a good friend of my grandfather, who ran a wrecker service, so that was a plus

15. Feb 5, 2010 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

Personally, jeep like cars are my favorite.

Here're some pics:

http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/U/V/66_jeep_cj5 [Broken]

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/jeep-renegade-concept-3-big.jpg [Broken]

jeep_wrangler_all_access.jpg

jeep1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Feb 5, 2010 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I'll recite a good story to go with my bad one above. I once came across a stranded traveler and his family on a lonely road in the middle of the woods. I stopped to help and figured out pretty quickly that his fuel filter was clogged. I had some difficultly getting the filter out because I didn't have the correct wrench with me but, I eventually got it. I advised him to get a new filter and followed him to the main road.

I guess that I had made a comment about having lost the wrench that I needed because he mailed me a new one several weeks later. I didn't exchange contact info with him so he must have written down my plate number and gotten my address from the DMV. I guess he either worked there or was a cop.

17. Feb 5, 2010 #16

I'm quite fond of the 240Z it's a good looking car. I'm seriously considering buying a Mk2 Golf GTI, or a Lancia Delta (I can dream) now i'm working again. The missus is trying to veto it, "because old cars are cold and crap".

18. Feb 5, 2010 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It looks like you both had an idea to start a car thread within a few minutes of each other. Nothing sinister I think.

19. Feb 5, 2010 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, no, I didn't see it. Threads merged.

20. Feb 5, 2010 #19
    http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/cincinatti_camaro_ss_crash.jpg [Broken]
    New Camaro almost split in half after hitting telephone pole. Driver walked away.
    http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story/Car-Splits-After-Hitting-Pole-Driver-Walks-Away/ml2JtGU1RUK-Mje-uOC63Q.cspx" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Feb 5, 2010 #20

Do you live in the US? The GTI's have a gnarly high insurance rate because they are considered "sports cars"

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook