General Chemistry Book Recommendations

In summary, the individual is seeking book recommendations for general chemistry to improve their understanding of concepts such as hybridization, Van der Waals radius, nuclear shielding, and chemical potential. Suggestions include Miessler/Tarr Inorganic Chemistry for bonding and molecular orbitals, Schroeder's Thermal Physics for thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, Clayden Greeves Warren and Wothers for organic chemistry, and March's advance organic chemistry or Sykes' Guidebook to Organic Mechanisms for more advanced material. Additionally, Atkins' Physical Chem and Molecular Quantum Mechanics are recommended for a more physical approach.
Acut
Hi!

I wonder if you could give me some general chemistry book recommendations. I have a modest background in Chemistry (I've read introductions equivalent to "Chemistry, the central science", "Chemistry" by Chang, "Concise inorganic chemistry" by Lee and "Organic chemstry" by Clayden - I've forgotten most of the last one though).

But I want to push this frontier a bit, because I see I have some weaknesses. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure the hybridization on SnCl3-, define what is a Van der Waals radius, explain quantitatively what is nuclear shielding or define chemical potential. Essentially, I want to have a better grasp on the details that are usually overlooked or briefly commented on those books. What do you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acut said:
But I want to push this frontier a bit, because I see I have some weaknesses. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure the hybridization on SnCl3-, define what is a Van der Waals radius, explain quantitatively what is nuclear shielding or define chemical potential. Essentially, I want to have a better grasp on the details that are usually overlooked or briefly commented on those books. What do you suggest?
Then you need to move past general chemistry.

Miessler/Tarr Inorganic Chemistry is an interesting book imo - it has a lot of qualitative information and spends a lot of time on bonding and molecular orbitals.

For something like, what is a chemical potential, you need thermodynamics and/or statistical mechanics. I think the best introduction to this is actually a physics book - Thermal Physics, by Schroeder.

And Organic Chemistry by Clayden, Greeves, etc is amazing. Learn that thing front to back and you'll have incredible intuition for organic chemistry.

Agree with Jorriss. Clayden Greeves Warren and Wothers is an excellent book for org chem...not sure why you would want something better than that for details. If you really want something more advanced try March's advance org chem. I also like Peter Sykes Guidebook to Organic Mechanisms - its a small book but great for understanding the fundamentals. If you're looking for something a bit more on the physical side try Atkin's Physical Chem, or Molecular Quantum Mechanics.

1. What are the best general chemistry books for beginners?

Some of the best general chemistry books for beginners include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro, and "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling.

2. Are there any general chemistry books that are easy to understand?

Yes, "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore and "Chemistry Essentials for Dummies" by John T. Moore and Richard H. Langley are both great options for those who are looking for a more simplified and easy-to-understand approach to general chemistry.

3. What are some recommended general chemistry textbooks for college students?

Some recommended general chemistry textbooks for college students are "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" by Martin S. Silberberg, "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro, and "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Ralph H. Petrucci, F. Geoffrey Herring, and Jeffry D. Madura.

4. Are there any general chemistry books with interactive features or online resources?

Yes, "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward and "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro both have interactive online resources, such as practice problems and videos, to supplement the material in the book.

5. What is the best general chemistry book for self-study?

The best general chemistry book for self-study depends on your learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, "Chemistry: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Richard Post, and "Chemistry: Concepts and Problems" by Clifford C. Houk and Richard Post.