1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

1. Jan 18, 2004 #1
    I'm standing here looking at this problems for 1 hour already and don't know how to handle them. The problem is that the exam is tomorrow. I thought I had it in hand because I pretty much knew how to work my way through the CG coefficients in quantum mechanics. There you have the recurence relations, but here it's just general conditions.
    Problem no.1: calculate the CG coefficient if S is an invariant operator.
    there is no coherent solution attempt from me.
    I start with Wigner-Eckart to get:
    [tex]
    C^{\star}(\alpha\beta\gamma,ijk)=\frac{<\tilde{\phi}^\gamma_k|S^\alpha_i|\phi^\beta_j>}
    {<\tilde{\phi}^\gamma||S^\alpha||\phi^\beta>}
    [/tex]
    as S is invariant [tex]\alpha=0[/tex] and there is no more i necessary.
    then what? introduce some [tex]T[/tex] and [tex]T^{-1}[/tex] and get what? Probably I'm not introducing these T's correctly because I have the feeling I'm running around in circles as I return to the same formula. I shoud get a damn number. What am I missing?

Problem no.2: Having a parity invariant potential V prove that [tex]<\phi|V|\psi>=0[/tex] if [tex]\psi[/tex] is even and [tex]\phi[/tex] is odd using WE theorem.
    [tex]
    <\phi|V|\psi>=<\phi\pi^{-1}|\pi V \pi^{-1}|\pi\psi>=<-\phi|V|\psi>=-<\phi|V|\psi>=0
    [/tex]
    where does WE come in?

Please throw me a bone. Even a small one, but remember I'm cramming here.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted