What is the Simplification of the Last Term in Differentiation?

In summary: The steps are:1. differentiate the equation on the left-hand side2. differentiate the equation on the right-hand side3. combine the two differentials
pyroknife
Hey guys. I have a question regarding the differential operator d.

Say we have an equation d(Z+X*Y^2)=0
If we want to differentiate the expression in the parenthesis, are these the steps to follow?
d(Z+X*Y^2)=0
dZ+d(X*Y^2)=0

Apply product rule to the second term:
dZ+Y^2*dX+X*dY^2=0

Here is where I get confused. To simply the 3rd term (X*dY^2), is the simplification this:
2Y*X*dY or 2*X*dY?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
Hey guys. I have a question regarding the differential operator d.

Say we have an equation d(Z+X*Y^2)=0
If we want to differentiate the expression in the parenthesis, are these the steps to follow?
d(Z+X*Y^2)=0
dZ+d(X*Y^2)=0
Sort of. Assuming that f is a function of x, y, and z, then the total differential df involves the three partials.
In other words, $$ df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} dz$$
pyroknife said:
Apply product rule to the second term:
dZ+Y^2*dX+X*dY^2=0

Here is where I get confused. To simply the 3rd term (X*dY^2), is the simplification this:
2Y*X*dY or 2*X*dY?
You should get this:
$$\frac{\partial (xy^2)}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial (xy^2)}{\partial y} dy $$
For each partial, treat the other variable as if it were a constant. Is that clear?

Got it. Thank you.

I don't know how to write out in the format you did, but for that last term partial(x*y^2)/partialy*dy,
I was a little confused on how that simplifies.
We hold x constant for that term, so this gives:
x*partial(y^2)/partial_y*dy
Does this give
x*2*y*partial(y)/partial_y*dy
or
x*2*partial(y)/partial_y*dy?

pyroknife said:
Got it. Thank you.

I don't know how to write out in the format you did, but for that last term partial(x*y^2)/partialy*dy,
I was a little confused on how that simplifies.
We hold x constant for that term, so this gives:
x*partial(y^2)/partial_y*dy
Does this give
x*2*y*partial(y)/partial_y*dy
or
x*2*partial(y)/partial_y*dy?
This -- x*2*y*partial(y)/partial_y*dy -- which simplifies to 2xy dy. The partial of y with respect to y is just 1.

I wrote my previous reply using LaTeX, which isn't too difficult. It looks like this:
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}
Put a pair of $ symbols at front and back, and it renders like this:
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$$

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a quantity with respect to one or more independent variables.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. In other words, ODEs describe the behavior of a single variable, while PDEs describe the behavior of a function of multiple variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include the motion of objects under the influence of forces, heat transfer, population dynamics, and electrical circuits.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There is no single method for solving differential equations, as it depends on the type of equation and its complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms.

5. What is the significance of boundary conditions in solving differential equations?

Boundary conditions are conditions that must be satisfied by the solution of a differential equation at certain points or boundaries. They are important because they help determine the specific solution of the equation, as there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation.