Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General direction of torque

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    My book defines the general formula for torque as:

n.(r×F), where . means dot product, n is a unit vector along the line about which you are taking the torque, F is the force acting at some point, and r is the vector from the line to the point at which the force acts. So I know that when the line about which you are taking the torque is perpendicular to r, then the torque is defined as r×F, so it has a direction perpendicular to r and F.

However, what would be the direction of the torque if n is not perpendicular to r? n.(r×F) does not reveal the direction since it is just a scalar. Would the direction still be just r×F in this general case?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    nvm i think i just answered my question....if you just consider the torque about each axis then its obvious that the direction of the torque is just the direction of r×F

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Aziza! :smile:

Yes, what your book defines as the torque about an axis is really the component of the torque along that axis. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook