Parametrizing Elements of SL(2,C): Exploring Different Approaches

In summary, the person is currently working on a question involving a past differential geometry exam. They have encountered a matrix g, which is a member of SL(2,C). They are unsure of how to express a general element of this group in a more precise way, particularly in the complex case. They have tried searching online for help, but have not found any solutions. They are seeking assistance in understanding the parametrization of SL(2,C) and have been given some suggestions to research, including the "polar decomposition theorem for SL(2,C)" and the "Cayley-Klein parametrization of SL(2,C)".
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm halfway through a question on a past differential geometry exam, and suddenly in comes a matrix g a member of SL(2,C) (where C denotes the complex numbers)

Now, I can't remember how to express a general element of this group: I know the matrix must be

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] such that ad-bc=1, but can this be expressed in a more precise way in the complex case (i.e. with fewer than four unknowns, maybe by utilising the complex conjugate)?

I've tried looking on the internet, but to no avail. I would really appreciate someone helping, since I could do with getting on with the question!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is the simplest possiblity of parametrizing an arbitrary element of Sl(2,C). To see that, answer the questions below:

1.How many parameter does SL(2,C) have ?
2.How many does the matrix assume?
3.How many does the ad-bc=1 condition fix?

As for other parametrizations of SL(2,C), search for the "polar decomposition theorem for SL(2,C)". Also for the "Cayley-Klein parametrization of SL(2,C)".
Daniel.

What is SL(2,C)?

SL(2,C) is a mathematical group known as the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices. It consists of all 2x2 complex matrices with a determinant of 1.

What is the general element of SL(2,C)?

The general element of SL(2,C) is represented by a 2x2 matrix with complex entries, where the first row is [a, b] and the second row is [c, d], satisfying the condition that ad-bc=1.

What are the properties of SL(2,C)?

Some of the properties of SL(2,C) include being a non-abelian group, having a non-trivial center, and being a connected, simply connected, and semi-simple group. It is also a subgroup of the general linear group GL(2,C).

How is SL(2,C) used in mathematics?

SL(2,C) has various applications in mathematics, particularly in the field of group theory. It is used in Lie theory, representation theory, and number theory. It also has connections to physics, specifically in quantum mechanics and relativity.

What is the importance of SL(2,C) in physics?

SL(2,C) has important applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and relativity. It is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as rotations and boosts, and is an essential component in the formulation of quantum field theory and the standard model of particle physics.