Can an antenna with a positive charge emit a radio wave, and why or why not?

In summary: Electric charges emit radio waves only at very special conditions, when they are accelerated.If no acceleration, they may produce only EM field, not waves.If no speed, only E field, no waves, no magnetic field.
JayKo
1. If you took a positively charged antenna and shook it up and down 500 million times a second, would it emit a radio wave. If so, why? If not, why not?

I would say, the EM wave that it emit is heat due to friction with the air. anyone have any other suggestion.

2. Electric charges are what emit radio waves, so why can't the cellular telephone emit a radio wave by just putting a positive charge on its antenna permanently?

not sure on this answer though.

Physics news on Phys.org
JayKo said:
Electric charges are what emit radio waves...
Electric charges emit radio waves only at very special conditions, when they are accelerated.
If no acceleration, they may produce only EM field, not waves.
If no speed, only E field, no waves, no magnetic field.

JayKo said:
1. If you took a positively charged antenna and shook it up and down 500 million times a second, would it emit a radio wave. If so, why?
Yes, it would. Actually it would emit a radio wave at frequency 500 MHz
PLUS vulgar electric field, because the antenna is not electrically neutral.

P.S. If you counted UPs and DOWNs together, when you said "shook it up and down 500 million times a second", then frequency of wave would be only 250 MHz... :smile:

Last edited:
jdg812 said:
Electric charges emit radio waves only at very special conditions, when they are accelerated.

cool, i see.thanks for the explanation. how about the 1st question,is my reasoning correct?
my reasoning is since energy is used in shooking the antenna, it must have transform to another energy which is heat energy, or is the heat energy significant in this case? anyone?

jdg812 said:

Yes, it would. Actually it would emit a radio wave at frequency 500 MHz
PLUS vulgar electric field, because the antenna is not electrically neutral.

P.S. If you counted UPs and DOWNs together, when you said "shook it up and down 500 million times a second", then frequency of wave would be only 250 MHz... :smile:

what is producing this EM wave? lambda=c/f = 3x10^8/250x10^6. =1.2m (radio wavelength)

JayKo said:
my reasoning is since energy is used in shooking the antenna, it must have transform to another energy which is heat energy, or is the heat energy significant in this case? anyone?
If you would really shake your antenna by hand, I guess 99% of mechanical energy would be transformed into heat energy. This energy is not significant for EM waves.
Then, 0.99% of energy would be transformed in the energy of acoustic waves.
This energy is not significant for EM waves as well.

JayKo said:
what is producing this EM wave?
When you shake your antena, charges in it are accelerated. This acceleration produces the EM wave.

jdg812 said:
If you would really shake your antenna by hand, I guess 99% of mechanical energy would be transformed into heat energy. This energy is not significant for EM waves.
Then, 0.99% of energy would be transformed in the energy of acoustic waves.
This energy is not significant for EM waves as well.

yeah, the antenna is shook by hand. so i can conclude that the dominant energy here is heat only. thanks.

jdg812 said:
When you shake your antena, charges in it are accelerated. This acceleration produces the EM wave.

but this acceleration is insignificant if we compare to the speed of electron. hence the EM wave would be extremely small.

if so, those particle accelerator when in operation would produce significant EM wave energy, right? thanks

JayKo said:
particle accelerator when in operation would produce significant EM wave energy, right? thanks
Yes, particle accelerators produce some EM waves, but not so significant, because they were designed to produce speed, not acceleration.

JayKo said:
if so, those particle accelerator when in operation would produce significant EM wave energy, right? thanks

Some accelerators do produce significant EM radiation. Look up "synchrotron radiation," for example on Hyperphysics.

In particle accelerators the "synchrotron radiation" is side effect. They try to avoid that. Anyway, cost of such source of EM waves is of the order $10 Billions. On the other hand, cost of a capacitor, consisting of a piece of wire and the Earth, is of the order $0.1. Thus an efficiency of such cheap device as a source of EM radiation is about [tex]10^{12}[/tex] times better... :smile:

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Some accelerators do produce significant EM radiation. Look up "synchrotron radiation," for example on Hyperphysics.

interesting subject for further reading, thanks .;)

JayKo said:
1. If you took a positively charged antenna and shook it up and down 500 million times a second, would it emit a radio wave?

i would simply the question and removed the word "antenna". if you took a positive charge (or negative) and shook it up and down (or left and right) 500 million times per second, you would be creating a 500 MHz radio wave.

this is what happens with a radio transmitting antenna. charge sloshes back and forth along the antenna element and that creates a radio wave.

see the "thought experiment #1" at:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1556816

I would say, the EM wave that it emit is heat due to friction with the air.

so you think it would work differently if you were shaking this charged object up and dowm 500,000,000 times per second in outer space where there is no air to have friction with?

anyone have any other suggestion.

how 'bout, the reason it works is that: unlike charges attract and like charges repel.

rbj said:
i would simply the question and removed the word "antenna". if you took a positive charge (or negative) and shook it up and down (or left and right) 500 million times per second, you would be creating a 500 MHz radio wave.

this is what happens with a radio transmitting antenna. charge sloshes back and forth along the antenna element and that creates a radio wave.

see the "thought experiment #1" at:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1556816

so you think it would work differently if you were shaking this charged object up and dowm 500,000,000 times per second in outer space where there is no air to have friction with?

how 'bout, the reason it works is that: unlike charges attract and like charges repel.

what a interesting read, well i know understand how charges interact with each other to produce the EM wave. so in microscopic sense, we analyze the charges, in macroscopic sense, we talk about the antenna movement interact with the air friction, is that sound logical? but in vacuum, there is nothing to cause that friction.

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is transmitted through oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These waves can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to propagate, unlike mechanical waves.

2. What is the speed of an electromagnetic wave?

The speed of an electromagnetic wave is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second, also known as the speed of light. This speed is constant and does not vary based on the frequency or wavelength of the wave.

3. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electric charge is accelerated. This can occur naturally, such as in lightning strikes, or can be created artificially, such as in electronic devices like radios or cell phones.

4. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes a wide range of waves, from low frequency radio waves to high frequency gamma rays.

5. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

The interaction between electromagnetic waves and matter depends on the frequency of the wave. High frequency waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays, have enough energy to ionize atoms and can be harmful to living organisms. Lower frequency waves, such as radio waves, can pass through most matter with little interaction.