Proving Continuity of a Function Using Epsilon-Delta Definition

In summary, the conversation is about a given \epsilon - \delta proof question involving a continuous function and its restriction to a single variable. The main issue is understanding the question and how to manipulate the given equations to find a suitable \delta value. There is also a discussion about the definition of ||(x,y) - (a,b)|| and its role in the proof.
Polter19

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I've been given the following [itex] \epsilon - \delta [/itex] proof question. The trouble I'm having is I'm not 100% sure what it is actually asking for, and how to go about it. The more common proofs involving two variable functions and a given limit are easy enough to do, but I'm stuck on this one.

Homework Equations

Suppose [itex] f: \left( \mathbb R ^2 , \| . \|_2 \right) \rightarrow \left( \mathbb R , | .| \right) [/itex] is continuous at [itex] \left(a,b \right) \in \mathbb R^2 [/itex]. Prove using the [itex] \epsilon - \delta [/itex] definition only, that if we define the function

[itex] f_b : \left( \mathbb R,|.| \right) \rightarrow \left( \mathbb R,|.| \right) [/itex] s.t. [itex] f_b \left(x \right) = f \left( x,b \right), [/itex]

then [itex] f_b [/itex] is continuous at [itex] x=a [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, considering I am not actually sure what the question is acting for I can't go very far. I was assuming you would set up the usual proof as,

Let [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex]
if [itex] |(x,b) - (a,b)| < \delta [/itex]
then [itex] |f(x,b) - (a,b)| < \epsilon [/itex]

Possibly then, [itex] x - a < \delta [/itex]?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Polter19 said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I've been given the following [itex] \epsilon - \delta [/itex] proof question. The trouble I'm having is I'm not 100% sure what it is actually asking for, and how to go about it. The more common proofs involving two variable functions and a given limit are easy enough to do, but I'm stuck on this one.

Homework Equations

Suppose [itex] f: \left( \mathbb R ^2 , \| . \|_2 \right) \rightarrow \left( \mathbb R , | .| \right) [/itex] is continuous at [itex] \left(a,b \right) \in \mathbb R^2 [/itex]. Prove using the [itex] \epsilon - \delta [/itex] definition only, that if we define the function

[itex] f_b : \left( \mathbb R,|.| \right) \rightarrow \left( \mathbb R,|.| \right) [/itex] s.t. [itex] f_b \left(x \right) = f \left( x,b \right), [/itex]

then [itex] f_b [/itex] is continuous at [itex] x=a [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, considering I am not actually sure what the question is acting for I can't go very far. I was assuming you would set up the usual proof as,

Let [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex]
if [itex] |(x,b) - (a,b)| < \delta [/itex]
then [itex] |f(x,b) - (a,b)| < \epsilon [/itex]

Possibly then, [itex] x - a < \delta [/itex]?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Take [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex] fixed.

You know that f is continuous at (a,b), thus you know that there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all (x,y) it holds that

[tex]\|(x,y)-(a,b)\|_2<\delta~\Rightarrow~|f(x,y)-f(a,b)|<\varepsilon[/tex]

Now, what you must do is to show [itex]f_b[/itex] continuous at a. Thus you must find a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all x it holds that

[tex]|x-a|<\delta~\Rightarrow~|f(x,b)-f(a,b)|<\varepsilon[/tex]

Can you proceed now?

I am also interested in this question. I understand what is required for the proof, but I am just stuck as to how to manipulate:
|f(x,b) - f(a,b)|
into something that resembles δ??

We know that:
0 < ||(x,y) - (a,b) || < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < ε
as the limit is equal to the value of the function at (a,b) since it is continuous there, but how can we follow on from this to show that if y is restricted to equalling b, then:
0 < ||(x,b) - (a,b) || = ||x-a|| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,b) - f(a,b)| < ε
?? I'm really stuck and any help would be appreciated.

jj22vw25 said:
I am also interested in this question. I understand what is required for the proof, but I am just stuck as to how to manipulate:
|f(x,b) - f(a,b)|
into something that resembles δ??

We know that:
0 < ||(x,y) - (a,b) || < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < ε
as the limit is equal to the value of the function at (a,b) since it is continuous there, but how can we follow on from this to show that if y is restricted to equalling b, then:
0 < ||(x,b) - (a,b) || = ||x-a|| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,b) - f(a,b)| < ε
?? I'm really stuck and any help would be appreciated.

How is ||(x, y)- (a, b)|| defined? (there are several equivalent definitions- which are you using?)

||(x,y) - (a,b)|| is a norm measuring the distance from (a,b) to (x,y), what do you mean how is it defined? Distance between points in R^2, euclidean norm.

1. What is a general epsilon-delta proof?

A general epsilon-delta proof is a mathematical method used to rigorously prove that a function has a certain limit at a particular point. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to show that for any small positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding small positive value of delta such that the function's values stay within the range defined by epsilon and delta.

2. Why is a general epsilon-delta proof important?

A general epsilon-delta proof is important because it allows us to prove the existence of a limit for a function, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. It also helps to ensure that our mathematical arguments and conclusions are logically sound and free from errors.

3. How is a general epsilon-delta proof different from other proof techniques?

A general epsilon-delta proof is different from other proof techniques because it specifically deals with the concept of limits and involves the use of epsilon and delta to establish the existence of a limit. Other proof techniques may focus on different aspects of a function, such as continuity or differentiability.

4. What are the key steps involved in a general epsilon-delta proof?

The key steps involved in a general epsilon-delta proof include setting up the definition of a limit using epsilon and delta, manipulating the inequalities to isolate delta, and then finding a suitable value for delta that satisfies the given conditions. The proof may also involve using algebraic or trigonometric identities to simplify the expressions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a general epsilon-delta proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a general epsilon-delta proof include assuming that the values of epsilon and delta must be equal, using the wrong inequality sign, and not clearly stating the assumptions and conditions of the proof. It is also important to check for any algebraic or logical errors in the proof and to make sure that the chosen value of delta satisfies all the given conditions.