Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General form of plane equation

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    ...is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

The vector <A, B, C> is a normal vector of the plane. My question is: does the value of D have any geometric significance/interpretation?

I have an algorithm (that I didn't write myself) to evaluate the best-fit plane for a set of points in R3, and the value of D is coming back extremely large (10^20 or something obviously ridiculous). I wonder if D is just a mathematical artifact and I shouldn't worry, or if there is a problem with the algorithm (or my usage of it).

I don't think D should be that large based on the equation for distance between a point (x0, y0, z0) and a plane Ax + By + Cz + D, which is

D = abs(A*x0 + B*y0 + C*z0+ D) / sqrt(A^2 + B^2 + C^2)

My values of A, B, and C are all -1<value<1, but D is so big that it will completely dominate that expression.

Maybe this is a junior question and this thread should be re-categorized as such.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    The equation of a plane with normal [tex]\mathbf{n}[/tex] going through the point [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] is given by [tex](\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n}=0[/tex]. Can you see how that helps?

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    sure. Expanding the dot product gives the point-normal form (as opposed to the general form) of the plane equation. If a = (x0, y0, z0), x = <x, y, z> and n = <A, B, C>, we have A(x-x0) + B(y-y0) + C(z-z0) = 0

That means D = -(x0 + y0 + z0), but I still don't see what the significance of that quantity is...

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4
    Well, using your notation we have:

[tex] (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n} =0 \quad \textrm{means} \quad Ax+By+Cz = \mathbf{n}\cdot \mathbf{a}[/tex]

So your D is given by:

[tex] D = - \mathbf{n}\cdot \mathbf{a} = -|\mathbf{a}| \cos \theta = |\mathbf{a}| \cos (\theta - \pi)[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle made between the vectors [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{n}[/tex]. So you have a geometrical interpretation of D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook