General form of plane equation

In summary, D is a negative number that indicates the angle between the vectors \mathbf{a} and \mathbf{n}.
p1ayaone1
...is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

The vector <A, B, C> is a normal vector of the plane. My question is: does the value of D have any geometric significance/interpretation?

I have an algorithm (that I didn't write myself) to evaluate the best-fit plane for a set of points in R3, and the value of D is coming back extremely large (10^20 or something obviously ridiculous). I wonder if D is just a mathematical artifact and I shouldn't worry, or if there is a problem with the algorithm (or my usage of it).

I don't think D should be that large based on the equation for distance between a point (x0, y0, z0) and a plane Ax + By + Cz + D, which is

D = abs(A*x0 + B*y0 + C*z0+ D) / sqrt(A^2 + B^2 + C^2)

My values of A, B, and C are all -1<value<1, but D is so big that it will completely dominate that expression.

Maybe this is a junior question and this thread should be re-categorized as such.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of a plane with normal [tex]\mathbf{n}[/tex] going through the point [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] is given by [tex](\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n}=0[/tex]. Can you see how that helps?

sure. Expanding the dot product gives the point-normal form (as opposed to the general form) of the plane equation. If a = (x0, y0, z0), x = <x, y, z> and n = <A, B, C>, we have A(x-x0) + B(y-y0) + C(z-z0) = 0

That means D = -(x0 + y0 + z0), but I still don't see what the significance of that quantity is...

Well, using your notation we have:

[tex] (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})\cdot \mathbf{n} =0 \quad \textrm{means} \quad Ax+By+Cz = \mathbf{n}\cdot \mathbf{a}[/tex]

So your D is given by:

[tex] D = - \mathbf{n}\cdot \mathbf{a} = -|\mathbf{a}| \cos \theta = |\mathbf{a}| \cos (\theta - \pi)[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle made between the vectors [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{n}[/tex]. So you have a geometrical interpretation of D.

The value of D in the general form of a plane equation does have geometric significance. It represents the distance of the plane from the origin in the direction of the normal vector <A, B, C>. This means that if D is positive, the plane is on the side of the origin where the normal vector is pointing, and if D is negative, the plane is on the opposite side.

In terms of your algorithm, it is possible that there is a problem with either the algorithm itself or your usage of it. It is unusual for D to be such a large value, especially if your A, B, and C values are all between -1 and 1. It may be helpful to double check your input values and make sure they are correct, and also to check the algorithm for any errors. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or expert in the field.

1. What is the general form of a plane equation?

The general form of a plane equation is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C represent the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is the constant term.

2. How is the general form of a plane equation derived?

The general form of a plane equation is derived from the standard form of a plane equation, which is Ax + By + Cz = D. The constant term D is added to both sides of the equation to make it equal to zero, allowing for easier manipulation and calculation.

3. What does each coefficient in the general form of a plane equation represent?

The coefficient A represents the slope of the plane in the x direction, B represents the slope in the y direction, and C represents the slope in the z direction. The constant term D represents the distance of the plane from the origin.

4. How can the general form of a plane equation be used to find the equation of a specific plane?

To find the equation of a specific plane, you will need to know at least three points that lie on the plane. Plug the coordinates of these points into the general form of the plane equation and then solve for the coefficients A, B, C, and D. This will give you the specific equation for that plane.

5. Can the general form of a plane equation be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, the general form of a plane equation can be used in any coordinate system as long as the coefficients A, B, and C are consistent with the axes of that system. For example, in a 2D coordinate system, the plane equation would be Ax + By + D = 0, where C is equal to 0.