Should I Retake the General GRE if My PGRE Scores are Average?

In summary, the speaker is a former teacher who recently earned a Physics degree and is now considering pursuing a Masters in Physics, Astrophysics, Astronomy, or Aerospace Engineering. They are waiting for their PGRE scores and are confident they will be in the 40-50th percentile. They are considering retaking the General GRE, but are unsure if it will make a difference. They also ask if their PGRE scores will be enough to demonstrate their ability, especially for Aerospace Engineering programs. The speaker is advised that they may not get into top institutions but could still be accepted into mid-tier state schools with a GPA above 3.0, particularly in Louisiana.
warriorzizi
Hello,

I'm an ex-teacher (4 years) who got her Physics degree (with minor in Math) in 2010. I have a Masters in Teaching and went straight into teaching high school.
I have since decided I wanted to go back to school for Physics/Astrophysics/Astronomy/Aerospace Engineering (still deciding which exactly I want to do). Most likely for a Masters.
I will get my PGRE scores back in a few weeks and based on my practice exams, I'm confident that I will end up in the 40-50th percentile. My General GRE scores were spread: Verbal - 160 (85th percentile), Quantitative - 157 (68th percentile), Analytical - 4.5 (80th percentile).
I was unhappy with my math score, but happy with the other scores. I'm good at math, but I sometimes need time to noodle on things and the general GRE is not set up for that. I'm afraid that spending another $195 and taking the test again will not help me much. That said, I'm willing to take it again.

My question:
If my PGRE scores come back in the 40-50th percentile range, should I worry about retaking the General GRE? Or let my PGRE scores speak to my ability?
Will the answer to that question be different if I apply to Aerospace Engineering since they don't require the PGRE?

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be going to MIT, and maybe not even to a R1 institution, but there are a lot of mid-tier state schools that would admit you to their Masters programs in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy if your undergrad GPA was over 3.0. It is less likely at schools with Aerospace Engineering programs.

In Louisiana, you would have a much better chance getting into a program at UNO or ULL than LSU, La Tech, or Tulane.

1. What is a good score for the General GRE?

A good score for the General GRE varies depending on the program you are applying to. Generally, a score above 160 on the Verbal and Quantitative sections and a score above 4.5 on the Analytical Writing section is considered competitive. However, it is best to research the average scores for the specific programs you are interested in to determine what is considered a good score.

2. How is the General GRE scored?

The General GRE is scored on a scale of 130-170 for the Verbal and Quantitative sections, and 0-6 for the Analytical Writing section. Your score is based on the number of questions you answer correctly, with no penalty for incorrect answers. The scores for each section are then scaled to account for differences in difficulty between test versions.

3. What is a good score for the Physics GRE (PGRE)?

Similar to the General GRE, a good score for the PGRE also varies depending on the program you are applying to. Generally, a score above 750 is considered competitive. However, scores in the 800 range are more commonly seen for top physics programs. It is important to research the average scores for the specific programs you are interested in to determine what is considered a good score.

4. How is the PGRE scored?

The PGRE is scored on a scale of 200-990. Your score is based on the number of questions you answer correctly, with no penalty for incorrect answers. Similar to the General GRE, the scores are then scaled to account for differences in difficulty between test versions.

5. Can I retake the General GRE or PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake both the General GRE and PGRE. However, there are certain restrictions on how often you can retake the exams. For the General GRE, you can retake the exam once every 21 days, up to five times within a 12-month period. For the PGRE, you can only take the exam three times in a 12-month period. Keep in mind that all scores from the past five years will be reported to schools, so it is important to prepare and do your best on each attempt.