Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General how to find the eigenvectors/values

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    this is not an assignment question...but i am just wondering in general how to find the eigenvectors/values for a 3X3 matrix...can someone show me the step by steps with an example?? don't worry, soon i will give back to this web site.:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find the roots of the characteristic equation, solve the linear algbebra problem.

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pretty much the way you find eigenvalues for 2 by 2 matrices- except that it is harder! The characteristic equation is a cubic polynomial equation. Solve that for the eigenvalues.

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

an eigenvalue for T is a number c such that Tv = cv for some non zero vector v.

that means (T-c)v = 0, i.e. that T-c is singular, hence has determinant zero.

so look for those c such that det(T-c) = 0. this is a cubic equation in the coefficients of T.

I.e. if you choose a basis for the space, T becomes a matrix and you can calculate this equation and hopefully find its roots.

Or you may know that T is length preserving, say it camer from geometry as a reflection or a rotation, or something like that, and then that imposes restrictions on the possible eigenvalues.

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    ah, fantastico

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?