1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General information about a Pendulum

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    More Physics.... A simple pendulum suspended in a rocket ship has a period T0. Assume that the rocket ship is near the earth in a uniform gravitational field. Give ALL correct answers,
    I'm assuming T= 2pi(l/g)^.5

A) If the ship moves upward with a constant velocity, the period increases.

velocity has nothing to do with l or g, so no change, so FALSE

B) If the ship accelerates upward, the period decreases.

This will cause a smaller g, and thus INCREASE the period, so FALSE

C) If the mass of the pendulum doubles, the period increases.

MASS is not considered here, so no change, so FALSE

D) If the ship accelerates downward at 9.8 m/s2, the pendulum will oscillate faster.

G will increase here, so the period will be smaller, and thus oscillate faster, so TRUE.

E) If the length of the pendulum is doubled, the new period will be: the square root of two times T0.
    This seems true by the formula too... TRUE

Yet DE is not right. I even tried ADE in case a constant velocity outward (A) meant the force of gravity would lessen... but still no luck.
    Any help here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to rethink this one. After you understand this, go on to the later ones.

4. Apr 26, 2005 #3

krab

Science Advisor

Have you been in an elevator? Remember that when it begins moving upward you feel momentarily heavier? So g increases.

5. Apr 26, 2005 #4
    Haha, wow, super stupid mistake there by me. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?