1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: General integration formulae

1. May 21, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was intent on finding a general formula for every case where the constants are real in this integral:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{ax^2+bx+c}[/tex]

But thought I would make things progressive by tackling a seemingly easier problem, mainly:

[tex]\int\frac{ax+b}{cx^2+dx+e}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I let [tex]cx^2+dx+e=u[/tex]

[tex]du=(2cx+d)dx[/tex]

Now I needed the numerator to be equivalent to du, so after some manipulation I get

[tex]ax+b=\frac{a}{2c}(2cx+d+\frac{2bc}{a}-d)[/tex]

Which made me realize that this problem isn't any easier than the first, since I'm going to have to solve the first anyway...

[tex]\int\frac{ax+b}{cx^2+dx+e}dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a}{2c}\left(\int\frac{2cx+d}{u}dx+\int\frac{\frac{2bc}{a}-d}{u}dx\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a}{2c}\left(\int\frac{du}{u}+\frac{2bc}{a}\int\frac{dx}{cx^2+dx+e}-d\int\frac{dx}{cx^2+dx+e}\right)[/tex]

So I guess my question is how do I deal with this integral in the case that the quadratic has no real factors. i.e. b2-4ac<0.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try completing the square and then use a trig substitution

EDIT: I mean you can do this in the initial problem as well.

4. May 21, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh right, thank you :smile:

For [tex]\int\frac{dx}{ax^2+bx+c}[/tex] completing the square gives

[tex]\frac{1}{a}\int\frac{dx}{\left(x+\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2+\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a^2}}[/tex]

Then letting [tex]x=\frac{-b}{2a}+\frac{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}{2a}tanu[/tex]

The answer becomes

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}.tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2ax+b}{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}\right)[/tex]

I was really unsure of myself, and trying the derivative, it was quite amazing to watch everything cancel out to once again become the reciprocal of the general quadratic.

I'll try it for the other 2 cases as well now.

5. May 21, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That is only valid for when b^2 - 4ac > 0. You need to account for the other case as well.

6. May 21, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yep, that one is for the case that [tex]b^2-4ac<0[/tex]

For [tex]b^2-4ac=0[/tex] the result is [tex]\frac{-2}{2ax+b}+c[/tex]

and for [tex]b^2-4ac>0[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{\beta -\gamma}ln\left(\frac{x-\beta}{x-\gamma}\right)[/tex], where [itex]\beta,\gamma[/itex] are the two roots of the quadratic.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook