Why does the constant in integration get multiplied instead of canceled out?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a first-order differential equation by separating variables. The conversation also addresses the misconception of an arbitrary constant being present on both sides of the equation and why it cannot be cancelled out. The conclusion is that the constant can be set to different values on each side, leading to a different constant A in the final solution.
Oneiromancy
I solved a pretty routine first-order diff. eq. where you simply separate the variables.

xcos(x)(dy/dx) - sin(y) = 0

=> [tex]\int cot(y)dy[/tex] = [tex]\int dx/x[/tex]

Now, I thought that you would get an arbitrary constant, C, on both sides and they would cancel each other out, but that's wrong. My book let's e^C = A (why?).

The answer should be sin(y) = Ax, but I didn't get that because I canceled out the constant. I suppose my question is why does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant C is arbitrary, which means to say it doesn't have a fixed unknown value. Therefore you can't assume that they have the same value on both sides and it cancel each other out.

So I could set the LHS constant to be C_1 and the RHS to be C_2 then their difference can be a new constant A?

Hi Oneiromancy! :smile:
Oneiromancy said:
So I could set the LHS constant to be C_1 and the RHS to be C_2 then their difference can be a new constant A?

yes … except

i] it's A = eC1-C2

ii] the examiners will expect you to take the short-cut, and just write one C, on one side of the equation, rather than write two and subtract. :smile:

The reason the constant is multiplied is that direction integration
gives you ln(sin(y))= ln(x)+ C and then taking the exponential of both sides,
[tex]e^{ln(sin(y))}= e^{ln(x)+ C}[/tex]
[tex]sin(y)= e^{ln(x)}e^C= Ax[/itex]
where A= eC.

What is general integration?

General integration refers to the process of combining different elements or components into a cohesive whole. In the context of science, it often involves the integration of different theories, data, or methods to gain a better understanding of a particular phenomenon.

Why is general integration important in science?

General integration is important in science because it allows for a more complete and comprehensive understanding of complex phenomena. By integrating different perspectives and information, scientists can build a more accurate and holistic picture of the natural world.

What are some challenges of general integration in science?

One of the main challenges of general integration in science is the potential for conflicting or contradictory information. It can also be difficult to determine which elements or components are most relevant or important to include in the integration process.

How can general integration be achieved in science?

General integration can be achieved through various methods such as synthesis, triangulation, or meta-analysis. These approaches involve combining and analyzing data from multiple sources to create a more comprehensive understanding.

What are some examples of general integration in science?

Examples of general integration in science include the integration of different theories in psychology to explain human behavior, the integration of genetic and environmental data in biology to understand the development of diseases, and the integration of data from various telescopes and satellites in astronomy to study celestial objects.