Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: General Integration Question

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    I solved a pretty routine first-order diff. eq. where you simply separate the variables.

xcos(x)(dy/dx) - sin(y) = 0

=> [tex]\int cot(y)dy[/tex] = [tex]\int dx/x[/tex]

Now, I thought that you would get an arbitrary constant, C, on both sides and they would cancel each other out, but that's wrong. My book lets e^C = A (why?).

The answer should be sin(y) = Ax, but I didn't get that because I cancelled out the constant. I suppose my question is why does this happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

The constant C is arbitrary, which means to say it doesn't have a fixed unknown value. Therefore you can't assume that they have the same value on both sides and it cancel each other out.

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    So I could set the LHS constant to be C_1 and the RHS to be C_2 then their difference can be a new constant A?

5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Oneiromancy! :smile:
    yes … except

i] it's A = eC1-C2

ii] the examiners will expect you to take the short-cut, and just write one C, on one side of the equation, rather than write two and subtract. :smile:

6. Jul 27, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The reason the constant is multiplied is that direction integration
    gives you ln(sin(y))= ln(x)+ C and then taking the exponential of both sides,
    [tex]e^{ln(sin(y))}= e^{ln(x)+ C}[/tex]
    [tex]sin(y)= e^{ln(x)}e^C= Ax[/itex]
    where A= eC.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook